Support

Account

Home Forums Front-end Issues Custom Field Encoding

Solved

Custom Field Encoding

• Hi

I have run into a tricky issue.

On a page I am building I am using WordPress WP_Query to compare a custom post type’s ACF field with a custom taxonomy term. This are my args:

$args = array(
    	'post_type' => 'photographs',
    	'tax_query' => array(
    		array(
    			'taxonomy' => 'subjects',
    			'field'    => 'name',
    			'terms'    => get_field( 'subject_first_name', get_the_ID() ) . ' ' . get_field( 'subject_last_name', get_the_ID() ),
    		),
    	),
    	'meta_query' => array(
    	    'photo_date' => array(
    	    	'key' => 'photo_date',
    	    	'type'    => 'NUMERIC',
    	    	'compare' => 'EXISTS',
    	    ),
    	),
    	'orderby' => array(
    		'photo_date' => 'ASC',
    	), 
    	'posts_per_page' => -1,
    );

The code works fine until the text I am comparing includes an apostrophe. For example, when the text is Georgia O’Keeffe, that is:

get_field( 'subject_first_name', get_the_ID() ) . ' ' . get_field( 'subject_last_name', get_the_ID() ) = Georgia O'Keeffe

and

subjects / name = Georgia O'Keeffe

I don’t get a match.

get_field( ‘subject_first_name’, get_the_ID() ) . ‘ ‘ . get_field( ‘subject_last_name’, get_the_ID() ) returns ‘Georgia O'Keeffe’ and the taxonomy query returns ‘Georgia O’Keeffe’.

I’ve tried using html_entity_decode to convert ' to ‘. But I still get no return.

To be honest. I am lost and am looking for any pointers to fix this.

Much appreciated.

Regards
    Mike

• So … the page has converted every instance of &#039 ; in my post to an apostrophe.

• Not sure if you’ve figured out your problem or not. If you haven’t can you try to explain a little more about what the problem is?

• Hi John

Thanks for posting. I should have posted here a little earlier. I also posted this to WordPress yesterday and got a resolution. I think there is a bug in WordPress which is evident when comparing custom fields and custom taxonomies that contain an apostrophe:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/wp_query-custom-taxonomy-custom-field-comparison/#post-8806020

Applying the code from the above thread to the WordPress core (I know … but it makes sense) fixed my issue alongside wrapping the return I get from an ACF field in html_entity_decode before comparing it with my custom taxonomy.

Once again, thank you.

Regards
    Mike

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Custom Field Encoding’ is closed to new replies.