Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Creating an array of one field across entire site

Solved

Creating an array of one field across entire site

• First of all I’m not sure if I will explain this properly because my knowledge of this sort of thing is minimal to say the least so I would love some advice on how to approach my scenario.

The setup
    I only have one layout for my entire site. In ACF, I have a sub field within a repeater (just a text heading) called “section_title”. There will be multiple instances of this on one page. Every page will have these custom fields.

My Needs
    I need to create a mega menu (a simple unordered list) where these section titles will be listed as links under the parent link. My mega menu must display a link a standard link to the About page and list links to each section underneath so for example:

<ul>
    <li><a href="">About</a>
    <ul>
       <li><a href="">Section 1</a></li>
       <li><a href="">Section 2</a></li>
       <li><a href="">Section 3</a></li>
       <li><a href="">Section 4</a></li>
       <li><a href="">Section 5</a></li>
       <li><a href="">Section 6</a></li>
      </ul>
     </li>
    </ul>

My Question
    Ideally the menu must auto-populate. So if there is a page created and has a section with a title, automatically create the page link (as the parent) and add links to every section that exists on that page within the mega menu.

I use WP-Menu’s regularly but don’t think this part of WP can help automate the adding/removing of a ACF sections within any page and really unsure if this can be done or how to approach it. Would really love some advice from people in the know…

• Well after thinking a lot about this, I’ve ended up using jQuery to solve my problem whereby it alters the links itself. This can at least give me the option of having a manual navigation using WP Menus.

I think what I’m shooting for is overly complex but it would be good to know if what I’m asking for is feasible in terms of auto-populating a menu.

FYI I used this bit of code to dynamically alter the menu links:

// Alter the links in the navigation so that the page doesn't reload
    	$(".nav a[href*='" + window.location.pathname + "#']").map(function(){
    	   var currentsection = this.href.split('/').pop();
    	   this.href = currentsection;
    	});
  • Hi @egr103

Without fully understanding your data and theme setup, I can’t be of much help, but I would guess that a jQuery solution is a pretty smart one.

This will then dynamically create the links based on the page’s content. It is actually the same logic that I use on the ACF docs page to create the ‘on this page’ links.

Hope that reassures you.

Cheers
    E

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Creating an array of one field across entire site’ is closed to new replies.