Support

Account

Home Forums Feature Requests Create field blocks that can be used in different field groups

Solving

Create field blocks that can be used in different field groups

• My idea works on the DRY principle of coding. Basically you can create field blocks that can be used within different field groups. For example you have set up a repeater field that deals with testimonials but you want this block to be used within different field groups. At the moment you have to code this block manually for every field group you want this to appear in. It would be great to be able to re used code blocks within different field groups and flexible content areas.

• Hi @semlohj

Please open a new support ticket via https://support.advancedcustomfields.com/new-ticket/ so that this can get to Elliot quicker.

• if i dont missunderstood what @semlohj wish it is already possible:
    at backend primary with the help of the clone-field.
    for the frontend with help of includes that contains the reusable block.

• create option page, that dont need to be accessible for general / by menu
    • create a fieldgroup with all needed fields inside (everything inside repeater but not repeater itself) assign it to that optionpage
    • create new fieldgroup with repeater and add a clone field that use all field from above group
    • create an other fieldgroup/repeater-field/flexible-field and add a clone field that use all field from above group

with help of that, you can update the original fieldgroup and the changes apply to the clones

i do for example:
    fieldgroup teaserbox = text,textarea,image,link
    fieldgroup halfcolum = flexible-field with a layout, that include clone-field:teaserbox
    fieldgroup fullcolumn = flexible-field with a layout, that include a repeater with clone-field:teaserbox inside
    fieldgroup content = flexible-field with 2 layout, one inlude clone-field:fullcolum || the other include prefixed clone-field: halfcolumn, prefixed clone-field: halfcolumn

now i can add another field to teaserbox and fullcolumn, left_halfcolumn, right_halfcolumn where updated

hope that help. else may @acf-support can reproduce what i say and give a more detailed answer

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Create field blocks that can be used in different field groups’ is closed to new replies.