Support

Account

Home Forums Feedback Consider filtering get_option calls to support get_option use for termdata

Solving

Consider filtering get_option calls to support get_option use for termdata

• The new version of ACF 5.5 changes the way terms are stored, from the options table -> the new termmeta table.

A db upgrade occurs, so all is well and good if you’re using (as you should be) get_field to get the ACF term meta.

However, it seems as if there are many developers who bypass get_field and have been getting the data via get_options. This will still work for term meta added before 5.5, but not after.

Although they shouldn’t be doing this, there will be many themes / plugins that break or stop working. I think it would be a good idea to add a filter to get_option calls to detect when an old option is queried and transparently query termmeta instead – it probably wouldn’t take long to do, and would have quite a big impact in terms of perception and help for the community.

• Hi @digitalquery

Because get_options() is a WordPress core function, I’m afraid there’s nothing we can do with it. By using that function instead of the get_field(), the developer should be aware of the limitation of the function.

A workaround for that is you can try using the “option_” hook to alter the data. So if your taxonomy slug is “customtax”, the term ID is “99”, and the field name is “field_name”, then you can do it like this:

add_filter( 'option_customtax_99_field_name', 'my_alter_option' );
    function my_alter_option($option){
        // do something here

// return
        return $option;
    }

I hope this makes sense 🙂

• Because get_options() is a WordPress core function, I’m afraid there’s nothing we can do with it.

James, it’s fairly straightforward. You’d just have to intercept the term_id within get_field and pass that through a get_option filter.

add_filter ('get_option', 'acf_bc_term_meta'); with a function looking for _category_id_name.

Pippin has some code which will do almost exactly what’s required, swapping post_meta for options: https://github.com/easydigitaldownloads/EDD-Commissions/blob/master/includes/commission-functions.php#L828

• Hi @mattrad-8q962886d4

If I’m not mistaken, I believe @digitalquery said that the developers are using the get_option() function, not the get_field() function. This means that the data is retrieved directly from WordPress without any interference from ACF. Maybe I missed something here. If I did, could you please explain it to me in more details?

Also, I’m afraid I can’t find any documentation regarding the ‘get_option’ filter. Would you kindly share it with me so I can try to find another solution for this issue?

But if you guys think ACF should be able to modify the get_option() function, you can always open a new ticket so this request can be passed directly to the plugin author? You can open a new ticket here: https://support.advancedcustomfields.com/new-ticket. Also, please don’t forget to explain the issue again.

Thanks 🙂

• when will be availble the version, that uses termmeta instead of options table? I want to make the fields translatable / synced with polylang and it is now not possible

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Consider filtering get_option calls to support get_option use for termdata’ is closed to new replies.