Support

Account

Home Forums Backend Issues (wp-admin) Conditionally registering field on acf/update_value

Solved

Conditionally registering field on acf/update_value

• I have a scenario where I wish to register a field on an existing field group when a different repeater field is updated.

(Simplified) code below:

function my_field_registration( $value, $post_id, $field  ) {

if ( $field['name'] == 'my_triggering_field' ) {
        	if ( $some_condition ) {
    			$args = array(
    				'key' => 'field_5c58230b9b9f6',
    				'label' =>  'Field label',
    				'name' => 'my_new_field_name',
    				'type' => 'number',
    				'parent' => 'group_5c3f080211566'
    			);
    			acf_add_local_field($args);
    		}
        }

return $value;

}

add_filter('acf/update_value', 'my_field_registration', 10, 3);

However, this doesn’t register the field, I assume because my_field_registration is not running in the acf/init hook.

But how then do I register a field conditionally when another field is updated?

• You cannot do this on that hook. In order for a field to be registered it must be run on every page load, in other words the init (or acf/init) hook.

It would also be very difficult to do this on the init hook.

Your best option would be to use an acf/prepare_field filter for this field and not display it if a check, or only display it, based on a check of the other field value https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/acf-prepare_field/

• I should clarify that I want the registered field to appear in the admin UI.

Should I be creating the field as an acf-field custom post type in the database?

• I assumed this was to show the field in the admin. acf/prepare_field is called just before the field is shown in the admin and can be used to not show a field by returning false. You register the field as normal than you create a filter and in the filter you check the value of the other field and then you return the field or FALSE depending on that check.

• Thanks for your suggestion John, but that would require me to know all possible field names in advance (so I could hide/show the correct one conditionally). There are infinite possibilities in my case.

What about using acf_update_field to write the field to the database? From includes/api-field.php:

/*
    *  acf_update_field
    *  This function will update a field into the DB.
    *  The returned field will always contain an ID
    *  @type	function
    *  @date	1/10/13
    *  @since	5.0.0
    *  @param	$field (array)
    *  @return	$field (array)
    */

function acf_update_field( $field = false, $specific = false )

I could construct a field object and call this function perhaps?

• It turns out you can call acf_update_field with almost the same parameters as acf_add_local_field, except I just had to pass the parent as a post_id. Here’s the (simplified) code that I used:

function get_acf_group_id($group_name){
        global $wpdb;

return $wpdb->get_var("
            SELECT ID
            FROM $wpdb->posts
            WHERE post_type='acf-field-group' AND post_excerpt='$group_name';
        ");
    }

function my_field_registration( $value, $post_id, $field  ) {

if ( $field['name'] == 'my_triggering_field' ) {
        	if ( $some_condition ) {
    			$args = array(
    				'key' => 'field_' . uniqid();,
    				'label' =>  'Field label',
    				'name' => 'my_new_field_name',
    				'type' => 'number',
    				'parent' => get_acf_group_id('my-field-group-name') // hyphenated!
    			);
    			acf_update_field($args);
    		}
        }

return $value;

}

add_filter('acf/update_value', 'my_field_registration', 10, 3);

This creates a field programmatically in the database which is editable in the admin.

• Hi,

I am successfully using your function in order to create fields based on dynamic checkboxes present in a form.

Everything works fine expect the fields are not viewable in the backend option’s page until I go to the field group and manually save it. Only then the fields appear on the option’s page.

I am using the Json sync feature. Could this be the reason?

Do you have any idea as to why? Is there a way to programmatically save the group after the fields have been added?

I tried using acf_update_field_group() without success.

Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Conditionally registering field on acf/update_value’ is closed to new replies.