Support

Account

Home Forums Backend Issues (wp-admin) Changing dipslay title of linked items in relationship field

Solved

Changing dipslay title of linked items in relationship field

    • yubot

    • November 23, 2019 at 8:01 am

    Hi,

    I can’t get the acf/fields/relationship/result hook to work no matter what I try.

    Here is the code I’m using:

    function profile_relationship_results( $title, $post, $field, $post_id ) {
    
      $first_name = get_field('profile_first_name', $post->ID);
      $last_name = get_field('profile_last_name', $post->ID);
    
      $title = $first_name.' '.$last_name;
    
    	return $title;
    }
    add_filter('acf/fields/relationship/result/name=about_team_profiles', 'profile_relationship_results', 10, 4);

    I have tried different variable names, messing with $post_id, returning a hard-coded string but no matter what I do the relationship field always shows null. The number of custom post displayed is correct, that is how I know that the relationship is querying the right post type.

    I thought the problem might be that the post type I’m looking up doesn’t have a title, but I tried with another post type which has it and it doesn’t work either.

    I’m probably missing something rather simple. Any help is much appreciated.

    Thanks!

  • Since it’s showing nothing it does seem to be working. It appears from your description that the fields have no values. I would double check the field names. Also I would look at if these fields are sub fields of another field.

    • yubot

    • November 24, 2019 at 9:32 pm

    The fields are not subfields and I double-checked the field names as well. Even if I return a hard-coded dummy value it doesn’t show up and I only get null.

    So it seems like the filter is activated but somehow the return $title is not getting through at all.

    Any ideas on how to debug this?

  • My only guess at this point is that there is another filter for the same thing somewhere that is running after this one.

    • yubot

    • November 26, 2019 at 1:12 am

    I found a solution. The issue was with my configuration based on the combination of Trellis/Bedrock/Sage by Roots.

    I was putting the above-mentioned code into the setup.php, but it should go into the filters.php (duh…). Also, I had to inline the function as such:

    
    add_filter('acf/fields/relationship/result/name=about_team_profiles', function($title, $post, $field, $post_id) {
      $first_name = get_field('profile_first_name', $post->ID);
      $last_name = get_field('profile_last_name', $post->ID);
    
      $title = $first_name.' '.$last_name;
    
    	return $title;
    }, 10, 4);
    
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies to offer you a better browsing experience, analyze site traffic and personalize content. Read about how we use cookies and how you can control them in our Cookie Policy. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.