When we started development, the ‘then’ developer went ahead and bought a license against http://test.mysite.com. When the server was made live, the url changed to https://www.mysite.com.
When I tried to update the plugin it gave an error about the license being already in use. Referring to posts in various forums, I managed to figure out that the license is stored in DB and tied to home_url. Used the following snippet to update it.
But when I click on update, it now gives ‘Download failed’. Probably the server also validates against the key and site url. We do not even have a staging and production server. It is the exact same server, just the URL has changed. So I think we are not violating the license.