Support

Account

Home Forums ACF PRO Can ACF pro do this

Solved

Can ACF pro do this

• Hi there,

I’m working on important project and we decided to use a third-party plugin. I want to use ACF as it is popular and paid so we can guarantee better support. Anyway I just want to conform that it can do what I need.

I need to let users:
    0- create new post “with custom fields” from the front end?
    1- Edit posts in the front end with all it is “custom fields”
    2- Save and continue later from the front end? just like from the dashboard
    3- lock the editing of each specific posts to specific users?

Finally I’m using this for 1 origination website, is it fine to buy the “Personal License” or I need the “Developer License” ?

Best regards

• ACF can do everything on the list except 3. It does not lock posts. This would need to be done and detected by you and to be honest, I couldn’t tell you how to do that.

For those I’d start here:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_set_post_lock
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_check_post_lock

Then all you need to figure out is how to unlock the page when the user closes the page or navigates away. More then likely you’d need to fire an ajax request onunload.

• Thank John,

For number 3, can I do something like letting a group of users can edit specific posts based on some “custom” data in there profile managed me the admin “maybe”. Or any other solution for this matter.

• Yes, with the right coding, that could be done with ACF. There are also some existing plugins that can manage who can edit what, but I’m not sure that those can manage front end forms created by ACF, I would doubt it.

• Thanks John, I think I know what I need to decide now 🙂

• Just realized I didn’t answer your last question.

If you are only ever going to use ACF on one site the just buy a license for that site. I think you’ll find after the pro version that you’ll want to use it again if you are a developer. I think that the dev license is well worth the money. ACF is not like some of those other plugins that make you keep paying them every year to get updates, you buy the dev license once and it yours forever.

• Great thanks,
    Is it possible to point me to some tutorials/example on what I need to do please. Im confused :\

What is the right hook to call “acf_form” with ? the only one that worked for me is “the_content”, but it load the form before the post!. is it possible to make editing a post happens if a different page?

Also, I cant figure out how to do the “Save and continue later”, the post hide as soon as I save it as draft or pending….

• You shouldn’t be calling the_form in a hook, but rather placing acf_form() directly in your template where you want the form to appear.

http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/acf_form/

Saving and continuing later, to be honest, there is nothing that will tell you how to do this that I know of. I just think it should be possible. It will probably take some research to find your answer. To display a post that has already been created you need to display you form on template where the post would normally be displayed. I would then check to see if the post is published or not and if it’s not then show the form to edit it. Alternately you might have the form hidden with a JavaScript action to show the form if the user clicks on an edit button or something like that. I don’t know all of the coding that would be necessary. You asked if it was possible, not how complex it might be.

You could start new topics with specific questions along the way.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Can ACF pro do this’ is closed to new replies.