Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues $block > [margin] returns string(21) “var:preset|spacing|80”

Solving

$block > [margin] returns string(21) “var:preset|spacing|80”

• This is with the Gutenberg plugin installed the new feature allows presets for Margins.
    [“spacing”]=> array(1) { [“margin”]=> array(2) { [“top”]=> string(21) “var:preset|spacing|80” [“bottom”]=> string(21) “var:preset|spacing|80”

The margin currently returns a string that is 21 characters and in a fun format. I can make a filter or check the variable for just numbers and so on. My question isn’t how I can get what I need from the string…

My question is, is this going to be changing once that preset goes live for Gutenberg to all websites and does ACF have a better way of handling it in the pipeline?

I do have ACF Pro.
    I am using Blocks so it returns the $block variable.
    This is specifically found when block.json has

"supports": {
       "spacing": {
          "margin": true
       }
    }

So the margin is set to True and you obtain this margin by calling
    $block['style']['spacing']['margin']['bottom']

Which is another question in itself, are there any plans to change this array location in the future? I can ask another topic about this.

• This reply has been marked as private.
  • Hello, I am also wondering the best approach to using these new spacing presets with ACF blocks. Does anyone have a solution?

• Agreed that the status of this would be great to know. There are workarounds to this output of course but it doesn’t seem ideal, and I wouldn’t want future updates to break those workarounds…

• Wondering the same. This seems to affect all block editor values, such as
    $block['style']['elements']['link']['color']['text'] that now have values like var:preset|color|blue.

• You can use get_block_wrapper_attributes() in your ACF blocks and it converts these.

• the last response here is not helpful.

• Has anyone a proper solution for this ?
    At the moment I use

$padding_top_string = $block['style']['spacing']['padding']['top'];
    $padding_top_value = (int) substr($padding_top_string, strrpos($padding_top_string, '|') + 1); 

this seems much to dirty…

• When I do get_block_wrapper_attributes() it only gets the classes and not the styles. I know styles are being set because I can see values for $block['style']['spacing']['padding']['top']. Any clue why my styles wouldn’t be showing?

• Commenting here just in case there are others who may need this solution. The function that is most helpful here is wp_style_engine_get_styles. When used in your block rendering script, you can call this function to produce the inline styles needed to render your block correctly.

I made a little utility function for doing so and generally include it in all of the ACF blocks we’re building. Hope it helps. =)

/**
     * Given an $block object from an ACF block for gutenberg:
     * This will return a string of CSS inline values suitable for
     * inclusion in the block output in PHP.
     * @param  mixed $block
     * @return $style as string
     */
    function acf_blocks_calculate_inline_styles( $block ) {

if ( ! empty( $block['style'] ) ) {
    		$style_engine = wp_style_engine_get_styles( $block['style'] );
    		$style        = $style_engine['css'];
    	} else {
    		$style = '';
    	}

return $style;
    	// echo '<div style="' . $style . '">Block content</div>';
    }

• SteveRyan’s approach does the trick beautifully.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.