Support

Account

Home Forums Backend Issues (wp-admin) Assigning Custom Fields To Child/Parents?

Solved

Assigning Custom Fields To Child/Parents?

• Is it possible to assign a custom fields to a custom post type parent ONLY and subsequently a custom post type child ONLY?

So you have a custom post type parent with a few children, but even though they are the same custom post type, different custom fields appear whether they are parents or children?

• There is a document here about adding custom location rules: http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/tutorials/custom-location-rules/

I don’t have an example of adding a custom location rule for a post parent/child rule, but I do have an example of adding a taxonomy parent/child rule.

This is all built into a class for a custom theme I built for a client, hopefully it helps you get an idea what you need to do.

private function __construct() {
      add_filter('acf/location/rule_types', array($this, 'acf_location_rules_types'));
      add_filter('acf/location/rule_operators', array($this, 'acf_location_rules_operators'));
      add_filter('acf/location/rule_values/taxonomy_depth', array($this, 'acf_location_rules_values_taxonomy_depth'));
      add_filter('acf/location/rule_match/taxonomy_depth', array($this, 'acf_location_rules_match_taxonomy_depth'), 10, 3);
    }

public function acf_location_rules_types($choices) {
      $choices['Other']['taxonomy_depth'] = 'Taxonomy Depth';
      return $choices;
    }

public function acf_location_rules_operators($choices) {
      //BY DEFAULT WE HAVE == AND !=
      $choices['<'] = 'is less than';
      $choices['>'] = 'is greater than';
      return $choices;
    }

public function acf_location_rules_values_taxonomy_depth($choices) {
      for ($i=0; $i<6; $i++) {
       $choices[$i] = $i;
      }
      return $choices;
    }

public function acf_location_rules_match_taxonomy_depth($match, $rule, $options) {
      $depth = intval($rule['value']);
      if (isset($_GET['taxonomy']) && isset($_GET['tag_ID'])) {
        $term_depth = count(get_ancestors($_GET['tag_ID'], $_GET['taxonomy']));
      }
      if($rule['operator'] == '==') {
        $match = ($depth == $term_depth);
      } elseif($rule['operator'] == '!=') {
        $match = ($depth == $term_depth);
      } elseif($rule['operator'] == '<') {
        $match = ($term_depth < $depth);
      } elseif($rule['operator'] == '>') {
        $match = ($term_depth > $depth);
      }
      return $match;
    }
  • Thank you Hube2, i’ll try and have a look. Is there anywhere what shows what can be included within there.

Thats the the bit i don’t understand, i as i need to select the parent or the child from a specific custom post type, not sure if there is enough boxes..?

• I imagine that you’ll need to do several things. The first three functions that set up the rules when creating a field group in ACF should be pretty straight forward. Actually I don’t think you need to use acf_location_rules_operator() because I would use the standard == != and use “Top Level Post” or “Child Post” for the choices.

Your custom rules also do not need to make the post_type selection. When creating your group you’d just use two rules

• Post Type == your custom post type
    • Post Level == top level or child

That leaves the function for testing the parent/child rule. Take a look at this for information on testing to see if a page is a child page: http://codex.wordpress.org/Conditional_Tags#A_PAGE_Page

• You know what?

I was just creating a new field group and realized you don’t need to build any of this. There is already a “Page Type” selection with “Top Level/Parent/Child” choices.

Don’t ask me what I was thinking, but I assumed that since you were asking about this that it did not already exist.

• Thanks, i didn’t realise i could assign to a custom post then subsequently a page parent, i just assumed that was only for pages themselves.

🙂

• Just a “thank you” for this — I had the same question and didn’t realize those would apply to hierarchical CPTs as well.

• Hi @hube2 I use this two conditions :

“block” + “is equal to” + “name of my block”
    AND
    “Page Type” + “is not equal to” + “Parent Page (has children)”

but my block also appears in parent pages with children. Do you know this problem ? Or have you a solution ? Thank you 🙂

• if

refers to a Gutenberg block then I can’t help you.

• Thanks for your response @hube2

Just to be clear :
    It is not a custom code, it is a location rules provided by ACF.

• Yes, I know, but you directed you’re question to me directly so I answered. I don’t use, and have no plan to ever use, the new block editor for the themes that I build. So when it comes to any question about ACF that involves the new editor I mostly haven’t got a clue.

You should probably start a new topic and hopefully an ACF user that does use the new editor might be able to help you out.

• I understand. Thanks for taking time to respond to me. And thank you very much for this quick response :))

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.