Support

Account

Home Forums Front-end Issues Array WP_Error trying to get ACF taxonomy value

Solved

Array WP_Error trying to get ACF taxonomy value

• Trying to add an extra text field to a taxonomy called Brands (product_brand) and getting this error with code on fresh install.

Fatal error: Cannot use object of type WP_Error as array in /home/mjackson/public_html/kinglouie.me/wp-content/themes/superstore/woocommerce/archive-brand.php on line 46

original code (line 46 is $term = $terms[0];)

<?php

global $post;

// load all 'category' terms for the post
    $terms = get_the_terms($post->ID, 'brand');

// we will use the first term to load ACF data from
    if( !empty($terms) )
    {
    	$term = $terms[0];

$custom_field = get_field('contact_info', 'category_' . $term->term_id );

// do something with $custom_field
    }

?>

• Your help documents say that to Display a field in my Archive template all I need do is include this code

<p><?php the_field('field_name', 'category_7'); ?></p>

With my relevant data. However I can’t seem to get this to work either. Is it possible you could perhaps include a code snippet example for every setup that works on fresh, unmodified installs? Whether it be for adding WYSIWYG’s or Calender or, like in my case, a simple text field. This would certainly help me a lot just now and I suspect a few more out there.

Great looking new forum btw 🙂

• @udapud,

The first issue is not ACF related (its throwing an error before getting to the ACF function). If your taxonomy slug is ‘product_brand’, your get_the_terms() function should be

$terms = get_the_terms($post->ID, "product_brand");

In addition to checking if the term array is empty, you should check for a WP error like:

if ( $terms && ! $terms->is_wp_error() ) { ... }

Since WP_Error is an object, it can’t be used as an array like in $term[0].

The second code posted should work on a fresh install, provided you have a field called “field_name” (with a value) for taxonomy “Category” for the term with ID 7.

• Hi @udapud

Instead of using

$term = $terms[0];

Can you try

$term = array_pop($terms);

Does that fix the issue?

• @wells5609 @elliot
    Ok, so I managed to get this code to work to get a specific taxonomy ID (so I know the system is working)

<p><?php // the_field('contact_info', 'product_brand_14'); ?></p>

But trying to get the same terms of the current Term ID being displayed, doesn't work however. (In my “archive-brands” template.) Even with array_pop.

<?php

global $post;

if( !empty($terms) )
    {

$custom_field = get_field('contact_info', 'category_' . $term->term_id );

}

?>

Thanks guys

• Is ‘contact_info’ a field for Category terms or Brand terms? Based on the field that works, I’m guessing the latter, in which case you’ll need to change the 2nd get_field argument:

$custom_field = get_field('contact_info', 'product_brand_' . $term->term_id);

• I’m afraid changing “category_” to “product_brand_” had no effect. It’s almost like that line has no way of getting the id of the current term. The address reads like this http://site/?product_brand=1st-call-mobility where “1st-call-mobility” is the term of the product_brand taxonomy.

“contact_info” is my ACF field slug, and “Brands” is a Custom taxonomy, whose slug is “product_brand”. Its a Woocommerce plugin, essentially for adding manufacturers to Woocommerce products.

I’ve tried printing this code before and it just wasn’t picking up the terms custom field in the print either.

Do I perhaps need to define “$custom_field” somewhere?

• No matter I fixed it. The problem was with “get_field” I replaced it with “the_field”

<?php

global $post;

if( !empty($terms) )
    {

$custom_field = the_field('contact_info', 'product_brand_' . $term->term_id);

}

?>

• By the way chaps thanks incredibly for the help, I was ready to gauge out my eyes. 🙂

Mike J

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Array WP_Error trying to get ACF taxonomy value’ is closed to new replies.