Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Anyone used ACF Custom Database Tables?

Solving

Anyone used ACF Custom Database Tables?

• I’m sure like many people here my database is getting bigger and bigger. I’ve got big forms with many fields and many records.

I’ve got to add a new plugin I’m building and this has the potential to add masses of data to the site.

Has anyone tried ACF Custom Database Tables from Hookturn? It looks as though it might be worthwhile but at A$199 (about €115) it’s quite expensive to even try out – after all, it may not work with my system.

I’d love to hear some feedback from anyone who’s tried this.

• I am waiting for the ACF Custom Database Tables to support Repeater fields, before I buy it. If you don’t use repeater fields it would be worth spending the money and getting it now, however if most of the data will be stored in repeater fields, the current version would be near useless, or more politically correct putting, less helpful…

Unless you need front end forms, and complex front end searches, a better solution for keeping the database small might be to create your project using ACF blocks instead of Custom Fields. The database size difference between using Blocks Vs custom fields will be astronomical, very quickly!

• Hi NickDA,

I went ahead with it. So far it’s been very good and very easy to set up. Apparently the beta version of the new release does support repeater fields and I’m waiting for that to arrive.

Cheers

• If you don’t use repeater fields it would be worth spending the money and getting it now, however if most of the data will be stored in repeater fields, the current version would be near useless, or more politically correct putting, less helpful…

Unless you need front end forms, and complex front end searches, a better solution for keeping the database small might be to create your project using ACF blocks instead of Custom Fields.

• Actually, MorningGnu, the creator sent us RC1 of the new version which does support repeater fields. So far it’s been very useful to us and the DB size is much smaller this way than with native ACF table methods. The new form data is stored separately and is easily searchable with our own SQL queries.

They are apparently working on a built in method of porting old records over to the new system which will be of great help although they offer a template to do it yourself.

• MorningGnu, I do not see how acf blocks can help?

Please note that every acf block has acf group and wp-postmeta will grow since the problem above persists.
    As you said: “using ACF blocks instead of Custom Fields” will shring the database, while this may be true – it does not solev the issue of huge wp-postmeta.
    Am I mising something?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used ACF Custom Database Tables?’ is closed to new replies.