Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Adding custom field groups to post type landing pages

Solved

Adding custom field groups to post type landing pages

• Hi there,

I was hoping someone might be able to help.

What is the best way to add custom field groups to post type landing pages? Custom and the default post type.

Many thanks,

Luke

• The best way, if you don’t already have it, is to get ACF 5 Pro. Us an options page and set the parent slug of the options page so that it appears below the post type you want to set values on. For example, put “Blog Options” under “Blogs”. Now you can add a field group here and use these fields on your archive pages.

Actually, I think this is the only way because WP has no admin page that’s associated with archive templates.

Before I discovered the ACF Options page add on I would create a custom post type and associate each post in the post type with one of the archive pages. This is also still an option. The main problem with using options pages for this is that the field names on each options page must be unique, so you can’t really create one field group and attach it to multiple options pages. Using a CPT eliminates the need to have multiple field groups.

• Thanks John! An options page had crossed my mind but I was hoping for a better way, it seems there isn’t one!

Cheers for getting back to me and have a nice day sir.

• 100% of my clients want to be able to manage content on these pages… and widgets are out of the question because they want to be able to edit the content in a single location that is easy to use. Needing to hunt through widgets to find the one that controls a block of content on the right page in the right location is more than most clients, at least my clients, can handle. I use ACF because I build sites for people that, well not all of them, but many of them, can barely figure out how to check their own email. Widgets and shortcodes…. hahaha.

It would be wonderful if WP added an admin page for post type archives, but I seriously doubt you’ll ever see that happen. When it comes to some things the people working on WP have a myopic viewpoint. It’s and archive page, why would you ever want to show anything but a list of posts and if you do… there are widgets. As developers they can’t see how widgets and shortcodes could possibly be confusing for the average person, after all, they understand them perfectly so every one else should as well.

Oh well, I’ll get off my soap box now.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Adding custom field groups to post type landing pages’ is closed to new replies.