Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Add "current" class to list of related posts

Solved

Add "current" class to list of related posts

• Hi all,

I have a field group called Lessons, and within each lesson, I list all related lessons.

Everything displays perfectly using this from the documentation:

<?php foreach( $posts as $post): ?>
      <?php setup_postdata($post); ?>
        <li class="lesson">
          <h3><a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></a></h3>
        </li>
    <?php endforeach; ?>

How can I adapt this so if I’m on the page “Lesson 1”, Lesson 1 in the displayed list has its own “current” class so I can style it?

(I essentially want this to act the same as WP’s navigation does when on the current page)

• Hi @barron

I’ve written some code for you to show how you would compare the current ID to the loop ID:

<?php foreach( $posts as $post): ?>
        <li class="lesson <?php if( get_the_ID() == $post->ID): ?>active<?php endif; ?>">
          <h3><a href="<?php echo get_permalink( $post->ID ); ?>"><?php echo get_the_title( $post->ID ); ?></a></h3>
        </li>
    <?php endforeach; ?>

Please note I have removed the setup_postdata function as this will only cause you headaches if you are not careful with it

• @elliot

Thanks for such a quick reply. Looks like we’re close (as in, everything technically works), but when using your code exactly, the active class is being applied to all li.

Suggestions for adjustments?

• Hi @barron

Perhaps you need to store the $post_id outside of the loop. Also, check that it is the expected value.

Then change the conditional logic within the loop to compare against the variable

• I had to do a bit more searching but your suggestion sent me in the right direction, so thanks @elliot

Here was my final code:

<?php
    	global $post;
    	$the_post_ID = $post->ID;
    ?>

<?php foreach ( $posts as $post ) : ?>					
    	<li<?php if ( $post->ID == $the_post_ID ) echo ' class="current"'; ?>>
    	    <h3><a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" title="<?php echo get_the_title( $post->ID ); ?>" rel="bookmark"><?php the_title(); ?></a></h3>
    	</li>
    <?php endforeach; ?>
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Add "current" class to list of related posts’ is closed to new replies.