Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Action to check if specific field value changed on post update?

Solved

Action to check if specific field value changed on post update?

• I’m using WooCommerce and trying to create a custom email notification when an acf text field value changes. In order to send the email, I have to create a trigger, so I’m looking for an action that will fire, or some way to compare old/new values if this field value changes when the Save Order button on the order page is clicked and the order is updated.

I saw this post from 2 years ago, but I’m not sure how to use acf/load, or acf/save_post for that matter, to save the value into a variable, and I was also hoping there might be an easier way to do this now..

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

• If you use and acf/update_value/ filter then the old value is still in the database and the new value is passed to the filter. You can use get_post_meta() to get the old value and compare it to the new value. I’m not sure you can use get_field() here because accessing a field while it’s being saved may have side effects, but you could try it.

add_filter('acf/update_value/name=my_field_name', 'my_check_for_change', 10, 3);
    function my_check_for_change($value, $post_id, $field) {
      $old_value = get_post_meta($post_id, $field['name'], true);
      if ($old_value != $value) {
        // it changed
      }
      return $value;
    }

• Thanks for your quick reply! Your example worked to compare the values, but the $old_value is returning an array rather than a single value. This is the output from print_r($field):

Array ( [key] => field_56607351f4d8b [label] => Delivery Method [name] => delivery_method [_name] => delivery_method [type] => text [order_no] => 1 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => acf-field-delivery_method [class] => text [conditional_logic] => Array ( [status] => 0 [allorany] => all [rules] => 0 ) [default_value] => [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [formatting] => html [maxlength] => [placeholder] => [prepend] => [append] => ) 1

I’m not sure the difference between [name] and [_name] but perhaps since they have the same value, that’s why I’m getting an array?

• for some reason it’s getting the field object, which is odd, and I’m not sure right now why. Try replacing field['name'] with your field name

add_filter('acf/update_value/name=my_field_name', 'my_check_for_change', 10, 3);
    function my_check_for_change($value, $post_id, $field) {
      $old_value = get_post_meta($post_id, 'my_field_name', true);
      if ($old_value != $value) {
        // it changed
      }
      return $value;
    }

• Perfect! Thanks very much for your help

• How might this be adapted to see if a user profile ACF field has been updated?

I’ve used it as it currently is but it comes back that it has changed every time even if the field hasn’t.

• Also, its a repeater field that I’m trying to see if it has been updated.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Action to check if specific field value changed on post update?’ is closed to new replies.