Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues ACF Update Field – Error

Solved

ACF Update Field – Error

• Hi all,

I feel like I am going round in circles here.

I am using ACF 4.4.1 with WP 4.2.2

I have a strange problem, I have two forms on a site, both have similar code to insert a custom post. One form will insert a post type of ‘review’ and it has a relationship field, which is associated with a post type of ‘listing’.

The code inserts the post then updates ACF fields using the update field API

if( 'POST' == $_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] && !empty( $_POST['insert_post'] )) { //check that our form was submitted

$title =  $_POST['reviewTitle'];  //set our title    
                            $comments = $_POST['comments'];  //set our comments field
                            $name = $_POST['reviewerName'];  //set our name field
                            $email = $_POST['email'];  //set our email field
                            $featureRating = $_POST['featureRating'];  //set our feature rating field
                            $easeRating = $_POST['easeRating'];  //set our ease of use rating field
                            $valueRating = $_POST['valueRating'];  //set our value rating field

$relatedListingId = array($currentPostId); // add our current post ID as the related listing ID, ACF relationship field expects an array

$newReviewPost = array( //our wp_insert_post args
    		                        'post_title'	=> wp_strip_all_tags($title),		                        
    		                        'post_status'	=> 'publish',
    		                        'post_type' 	=> 'review',
    	                        );

$postId = wp_insert_post($newReviewPost); //insert our post, return the resulting ID as $postId

update_field('field_id', $name, $postId); // update name
                            update_field('field_id', $email, $postId); // update email
                            update_field('field_id', $comments, $postId); // update comments
                            update_field('field_id', $relatedListingId, $postId); //update our related listing ID - links the review to this product listing

update_field('field_id', $featureRating, $postId);                         update_field('field_id', $easeRating, $postId); 
                            update_field('field_id', $valueRating, $postId); 

header('Location: '.$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']); // refresh our page, to show the review.
                        }

This form works fine.

I have another form that is a contact us form, and inserts a post type of “contact” and has no relationship. It uses essentially the same code but without the relationship. This causes the white screen of death!

If I remove the ACF update field code, the post inserts fine. I am totally stumped, any help would be greatly appreciated as I am up against a deadline and this has had me tearing my hair out for over a day now.

if( ‘POST’ == $_SERVER[‘REQUEST_METHOD’] && !empty( $_POST[‘insert_post’] )) { //check that our form was submitted

$title = $_POST[‘postTitle’]; //set our title
    $name = $_POST[‘name’]; //set our name field

$newPost = array( //our wp_insert_post args
    ‘post_title’ => wp_strip_all_tags($title),
    ‘post_status’ => ‘publish’,
    ‘post_type’ => ‘contact’,
    );

$postId = wp_insert_post($newPost); //insert our post, return the resulting ID as $postId

echo “Post id ” . $postId;
    update_field(‘field_id’, $name, $postId); // update name

}

Many thanks

Lee

• Hi @leemg

Hmm… Try increasing the memory allocated to PHP. You can do this either through editing wp-config.php file or php.ini

If this does not work, you could try enabling wp_debug to see if any errors display. These errors will point you to what is causing the problem.

• Thanks James, I tried this to no avail, however I noticed that one of my inputs had a name of “name” e.g <input type=”text “name=”name”> I changed this and it worked! I have no idea why this would cause a problem 🙂

Thanks for you help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ACF Update Field – Error’ is closed to new replies.