Support

Account

Home Forums Feedback ACF Postbox classes / CSS identifiers

Solved

ACF Postbox classes / CSS identifiers

• Ok, this is the third time I write this so i’m going short now. (own fault, 1. Accidentally closed browser, 2 was logged out when posting, 3 this one)

Hi all,

Would be nice to add more CSS customizability to ACF, this can be accomplished by adding classes to the acf-postbox element.

Some small code adjustments which makes this possible:

// File: /forms/post.php (around line 290)
    Function: render_meta_box();

Add:
    $slug = sanitize_title($args['field_group']['title']);

Customize line with $class variable:
    $class = 'acf-group-' . $slug . ' acf-postbox ' . $field_group['style'];

Can this (or another, better, solution) be added to ACF?

A way of wrapping the ACF fields would be nice too. I think customizability is an important part in the (future-)usage of ACF.

If there is any way to hook into ACF to customize this / add some sort of feature i’d be glad to hear it!

• What version of ACF are you using?

ACF5 Pro now has fields for adding a wrapper class or id to each field.

Is that what you mean?

• No, i saw the wrappers. But this is for individual fields only. It’s not possible at the moment to wrap 5 fields in 1 wrapper, right?

I my example i’m adding a class for the ACF group. I didn’t find any ways to add a class or ID to the group either. I could be missing something though.

• Not that I know of, no. I don’t generally change the way ACF looks much. Just thought that might be what you meant.

But, after digging around a bit, there is a filter you might use. When the field group is retrieved this hook is run

$field_group = apply_filters('acf/get_field_group', $field_group);

$field_group should have an array of all the field group settings. You can probably alter the classes in $field_group['style'] using a filter.

• Thanks!

Ended up with this:

function change_style_test($content) {

switch ($content['title']) {
    			case 'Title1':
    				$content['style'] = 'acf-postbox-title1';
    			break;
    			case 'Title2':
    				$content['style'] = 'acf-postbox-title2';
    			break;

default:
    				$content['style'] = 'seamless';
    			break;
    		}

/*
    			// Test to see output 
    			echo '<pre>';
    			print_r($content);
    			echo '</pre>';
    		*/

return $content;

}

add_filter('acf/get_field_group', 'change_style_test');

It can be automized though, sanitize the title and add that as a class.

BTW, i’m not that experienced with using filters in WordPress. Is it possible to get an overview of filters and actions launched in a plugin? Or is it just digging around?

But, it would still be great to have some <wrapper start> and </wrapper end> field in ACF so you have more control of the structure and looks of ACF.

• It’s just digging around really. There are a lot of undocumented hooks in ACF. From what I’ve found E has provided hooks so that you can filter just about anything, but just like WP there are a lot that you might need to find.

I started at 290 in the file you indicated and worked backwards to figure out where $args came from.

There could even be something more specific, I’m just not finding it.

• Thanks for explaining some more. The filter solution works with adding the class BUT the styles seamless / WP Metabox are being reset. If anyone’s going to use this code, make sure that you re-include seamless into $content[‘style’], else you get the WP metabox style.

I’ve contacted Elliot via Twitter. I’ll explain what i mean exactly and will update this topic when necessary.

Thanks for your help Hube!

• Thanks for this guys was very helpful. If you don’t want to replace the existing style just use .= to append your style, simply remember to have it be a space before your class.

And if you need to only affect a specific metabox you can use the $content[‘ID’] to compare.

Here’s what I’ve done to add Woo’s hide_if_external class to remove my metabox for external products;

function change_style_test($content) {

if ( ! empty( $content ) && array_key_exists( 'ID', $content ) && ! empty( $content['ID'] ) && $content['ID'] == 4970) {

$content['style'] .= ' hide_if_external';

}

return $content;

}
    add_filter('acf/get_field_group', 'change_style_test');

All the best,
    Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ACF Postbox classes / CSS identifiers’ is closed to new replies.