Support

Account

Home Forums ACF PRO ACF not playing nice with WPML

Solved

ACF not playing nice with WPML

• Thanks a HUGE lot for that article. I’m sure this will take away a lot of frustration I’m having with WPML. Thanks!

• I been using ACF and WPML and Woocommerce for a long time with very complex ACF and language setup. I Just installed the ACF PRO and this become Changed:

The “Duplicate” of a ACF is no longer dublicated, it creates a translated independent copy of the original language field setup. Before you could see the WPML box “Make xxx fieldgroup independent” (WPML will no longer sync…)

Today, if we add changes in the Field group, we must add the “new” fields in that fieldgroup, values, etc etc manually for EACH translated field group. Not fun when using 10 languages.

On the other hand, To make headlines, titles translated, the field group MUST released as a “duplicate” and become independent. (As before)

We always keep the fieldgroups as “dublicated” (But now ACF cant do it) as long as possible, and when all testing and the client is happy, we release all translations and finally, translate the labels and titles.

ALSO:
    REF Elliots article “Multilingual Custom Fields”

in WPML “Mulitilingual setup — Custom fields translation”, These properties (Custom fields) has to be checked as “Copy from original to translation”:

-allorany
    -field_1
    -hide_on_screen
    -layout
    -position
    -rule

Then, everything works fine for us, as for many installs, last 3 years, update after update WPML + ACF.

• Just finished writing this article:

http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/multilingual-custom-fields/

Please let me know if it is helpful or can be improved in any way.

Thanks for the article, a few questions:

1. Which (exact) version of WPML did you use?
    2. Is the article valid for ACF 4 and/or for ACF PRO 5?
    3. Do fields still save and is selecting the post type translation still possible after you enable any other plugins or switch themes (doesn’t matter which) after the ACF setup?
  • awesome.

with this article, everything now works as it should!

thank you very much!

greetings timotheus

• As @Intervik explained in his post, the fields are no longer duplicated between translations, making it very hard to maintain a website with several languages.

The website i’m working on now has 10+ languages, and every time a add a new field to a language, that field has to be manually created in every other language.

Has anyone a solution to this? Copying json field groups between translations?

• Hi, and @scheurta,
    Right now we export the “workspace” language all ACF fields, then delete every lang (ALL ACF), import the exported, and “dublicate all” in Translation management extension (insteadone by one in edit ACF field)

TIP: Make shure “Delete original posts will also delete translation” is active checked in the settings (languages), The delete process would be fast.

BUT, I think som lines in the XML file could do the trick to force the “Fields” to be dublicated and override the PRO “translate only”. But this problem just occured for us as well – we don have time to experiment with this for now…

• I must be missing something because I’m still getting the original “not saving” issue. Using ACF Pro 5.1.3, WPML Multilingual CMS 3.1.8.3 and WPML Translation Management 1.9.8

Tried: “We had to check
    – “Translate” for “Fields Group” and
    – “Do nothing” for “Fields”

… but still no success.

Any suggestions?

• +1 for being able to properly duplicate the Custom Fields instead of having to manually delete them all and re-translate everytime a change is made, very frustrating with many languages.

• Hello Elliot,
    in your tutorial you say to transalte Field Groups and do nothing on Fields.
    But in the WPML options I can’t find any “fields” option, just Fields Groups.
    (screenshot: http://prntscr.com/6fep16)

Maybe this happens because I’m using the WPML Translation Management addon to use icanlocalize professional translations.

I’ve also marked as “translate” all the custom fields as you say in the part “avoid data loss”.

When I send to professional translators this contents, they are able to translate all the fields, and I get this fields translated in the WPML translations editor interface (screenshot: http://prntscr.com/6feo1g)

But If I open the post normally, in the standard WP edit interface, fields are not there (screenshot: http://prntscr.com/6feog9)

I understand that this is also a WPML issue and that they should help as well, but unfortunately any request about ACF in WPML forum is answered with this sentence “ACF is not in our compatibility list, you should use Types instead of ACF”…

Is there someone able to make repeater and flexible fields translatable by icanlocalize professionals?

• I’m running into the same problem as @bluantinoo, I see ‘Field Groups’ when following along with the article, but no ‘Fields’ option.

Is possible that this fix only meant for v5? I’m currently running v4.4.4 and thinking I maybe need to upgrade to fix this. Can anyone else confirm this?

• For a reason i didn’t understand yet,
    all i had to do is :
    – to go in my broken language ACF group field,
    – delete ereything
    – save the AFC empty fields
    – I Clicked on “Erase with French content”
    – Resave

And it work. From that time i could re-edit my acf in the translated pages…

• Currently I have to create a translation for each field group.

So if I have 4 languages and 3 field groups I have to manage 12 separate field groups.

Is there a way to have global field groups. By that I mean 1 field group working across all languages. It doesn’t matter that the field labels will all be in a primary language.

This would save us a lot of administration. In this thread there are also others reporting about a very manual and error prone update process when adding/modifying/removing fields and this global field group option would resolve that pain point.

Is it possible for some feedback about whether this is currently possible and if not if it could be considered for future release.

Thanks

• Hi @thomask No – I’m not. Just looking into it. Will it solve my above configuration?

Cheers

• Update w/Solution to my query: Disable the Make ‘Field Groups’ translatable option. Use Duplicate to create a new language.

I also installed the ACF plugin @thomask recommended.

• Update: Doesn’t work for all location settings.

Eg. If Page = About, then custom fields group shows only for primary language.
    If Post_Type = Post then shows for both languages..

Not sure :/

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘ACF not playing nice with WPML’ is closed to new replies.