Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues ACF fields filled in with XMLRPC will not save

Unread

ACF fields filled in with XMLRPC will not save

• Hi,

I am currently working on a few small utility applications to help move data from locally stored files to a locally hosted WordPress site. I am doing this through python-xmlrpc which has worked well up until this point.

I would like to pre-face this by saying that I do not have access to change any of the theme code or the ACF field settings within the site. I can simply create and edit posts.

The issue occurs from a post type that only really makes use of the ACF fields given to it and acts like an account database for users (which are separate to the actual WordPress users). When I attempt to create a new post of this post type, it will create a new post and the fields will end up filled but not actually saved to the database. I then need to press the “Update” or “Publish” button manually on the page which will save the data and allow it to be used (since the data acts as accounts, I have tested this by trying to log into the newly made account both before and after manually “saving” the data).

I am placing the values into the WordPressPost.custom_fields attribute (https://python-wordpress-xmlrpc.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ref/wordpress.html). To do this, I am using the field name rather than the field key which is mentioned in a few other threads. I tried to use the field key to make this work but it would make the post and not actually fill in any data at all.

Does anyone know why the post will not save just from the xmlrpc call and anyways that you can make that happen?

I understand that this could just be a limitation of ACF and XMLRPC in which case I have a couple options. One to use Selenium to just simulate the button press but this would be a much slower solution. Another thought I’ve had is to try and perform the same actions that the “Update” button does but externally through my own program. The only thing I’ve found so far is a call to admin-ajax.php, so if anyone has an idea of how that could be replicated that would be very much appreciated.

I would also like to add that editing posts of this type works perfectly as expected and can even edit the new posts before I have manually pressed “Update”. Although, the new posts will not function as accounts until I have pressed “Update” even after editing through xmlrpc.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.