Support

Account

Home Forums Front-end Issues ACF Checkbox Choices

Solving

ACF Checkbox Choices

• Looking for a way to get the list of Checkbox choices for an ACF field.

So, if I have an ACF field myChoices with choices
    1 : Small
    2 : Medium
    3 : Large

In my page template I want to display a list (for filtering purposes) of all the choices.

I was previously doing this
    SELECT DISTINCTmeta_valueFROMwp_postmetaWHEREmeta_key= '_mychoices'
    Saved to $fieldkey
    Followed by
    $field = get_field_object($fieldkey);

I could then access the choices from
    $choices = $field['choices'];

This seems to have stopped working after the last ACF update (5.7.7)

I don’t think my approach was standard – but it worked.

Any ideas how to do this in a more standards compliant way?

• @julianmarcorpsa-com Have you tried dropping the underscore from the meta_key value…so just = 'mychoices'. I ask because when I use a plugin called Search & Filter Pro, I have to select the meta key to pick which which field I want to filter by. In the list of available fields, each field shows up twice, one with a preceding underscore and one without. I have to use the one without in order for it to work correctly.

But if that’s not the case, you should be able to do something like:

<?php
    $values = get_field('mychoices');
    $field = get_field_object('mychoices');
    $choices = $field['choices'];
    ?>

<ul>
    	<?php foreach( $choices as $choice => $label ) : ?>
    	<li>Value: <?php echo $choice; ?>, Label: <?php echo $label; ?></li>
    	<?php endforeach; ?>
    </ul>

Let me know if that doesn’t work for you. I didn’t get a chance to test out, but I just did something similar the other day.

• @kiwicreative ,
    Thanks for the response.

Yes I did – no joy.

When I did some more digging I found there was more than one key value in post_meta for that field – I have noticed that under some conditions ACF does not clean up after itself and you end up with Ghost entries.

Either way I eventually resolved to create another ACF field – in its own group. We setup the choices there and bind the field to the page on which we need those values. In the page properties we then just select all the choices available and save to the post – that way we can just get_field() them.

I would have preferred that we could just get the values from the field meta data – but the pressure to get this working dictated we find another solution. The second ACF is a bit cumbersome but it works and removes the requirement to query the post_meta table directly.

Thanks again for the response.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ACF Checkbox Choices’ is closed to new replies.