Support

Account

Home Forums Front-end Issues ACF – Can't get custom post type by taxonomy, no idea how to fix

Solved

ACF – Can't get custom post type by taxonomy, no idea how to fix

• Although I’ve read many other answers with the same question on StackOverflow none of them where able to fix the issue I have.

I’m using ACF and have a custom post type called “services”. The CPT has a custom taxonomy called “category”, this returns the TermID of the taxonomy.

This was working before when I used a standard taxonomy, but since i’ve switched to the ACF taxonomy it has stopped working.

//This works fine
    $serviceName = $wp_query->query_vars['test'];

//CURRENT The loop issue with ACF which doesnt work
       $args = array(
            'post_type' => 'services',
            'tax_query' => array(
                array(
                'taxonomy' => 'category',
                'field' => 'slug',
                'terms' => $serviceName
                 )
              )
        );

//OLD The loop when using standard taxonomy that works
       $args = array(
            'post_type' => 'services',
            'category_name' => $serviceName,
        );

//Display
    $service_posts = get_posts( $args );

In Functions.php I have created a function which makes the ACF categories filter out the ones I don’t want. This is to prevent the user choosing categories which aren’t services.

function service_categories( $args, $field, $post_id ) {

$args['orderby'] = 'count';
        $args['order'] = 'DESC';
        $args['include'] = '6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16';
        return $args;

}

Thank you for your time.

Also noticed when you view all the CPT’s the category tab is blank in the WP dashboard, not sure why this is since I assumed this overwrote the default wordpress taxonomy categories.

Ok so after investigating, it seems to me that the ACF taxonomy is not treated in the same way I thought the taxonomy would be treated, is the way I’m trying to do this possible or do I just have to use a custom radio button thats not even a taxonomy at all?

• Do you have the taxonomy field set to save and load terms? If you do not do this then you need to change from a tax_query to a meta_query.

• Still not working, felt like ive tried every variation.

The backend has modified slightly, but I am still using the ACF field.

Tried both variations nothing has worked.
    $args = array(
    ‘post_type’ => ‘service_packages’,
    // ‘meta_query’ => ‘service_category’,
    // ‘meta_value’ => ‘5’
    ‘tax_query’ => array(
    array(
    ‘taxonomy’ => ‘service_category’,
    ‘terms’ => ‘5’
    ),
    )
    );

5 is the id of the category.

• Do you have the taxonomy field set to save and load terms?

Is the taxonomy field a top level field or a sub field of a repeater, group or flex field?

• This worked in the end, thanks for the help! however not sure if this is exactly what I wanted, since the custom taxonomy isnt being treated as the default wordpress category, is there a way to make this happen? I guess it doesn’t have to really but the issue I have is with the permalink for each post.

Basically I have two custom posts.

A Service post type (it support,cloud, digital etc…)

A service package (this appears on each service page, they DO NOT have the own unique pages)

Basically the URL’s for the service packages should be.

services/{THE_CURRENT_TAXONOMY_FIELD_VALUE}/#post_name

But they are currently.

service/post_name

I tried using the overwrite rule, but obviously if I overwrite the slug so it contains the other post type, that post type will just become broken.

Thanks for the help!

• EDIT:

I’ve realized i’m so stupid, I didn’t know that CPT allowed you to create custom taxonomies, i’ve wasted so much time on this. I’m very sorry.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ACF – Can't get custom post type by taxonomy, no idea how to fix’ is closed to new replies.