Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues ACF as must-use plugin?

Solving

ACF as must-use plugin?

• I’ve been reading up on muse use plugins, see here if you don’t know about them: http://codex.wordpress.org/Must_Use_Plugins.

Interestingly they can’t be switched off or uninstalled from wp-admin, and are automatically loaded, similar to putting the code in your functions.php file. This makes them ideal for use if your theme requires some functionality, such as ACF.

There are a few caveats, such as you can’t update the plugin and WP won’t descend into subdirectories looking for them. But these can be overcome.

I wonder if anyone has tried to port ACF to use as an muplugin, and if it worked / was it a good idea?

• I have recently moved ACF into mu-plugins on a rather high-traffic site. I’ll let you know about the problems as they arise. I simply put the advanced-custom-fields-pro directory into the wp-content/mu-plugins directory and added this modest file to that directory as well:

$ cat advanced-custom-fields-pro.php 
    <?php
    require_once(__DIR__ . '/advanced-custom-fields-pro/acf.php');

The site in question does not need the update mechanism in place as we update the code on another machine, commit to git, and then deploy on the production webserver.

• @dotancohen how has this worked so far? I’m thinking about setting up ACF as a mu-plugin, and curious if you’ve run into issues.

• @runofthemill Maintenance of that website is done by somebody else in our company now, bit I have not heard of any issues. Give it a try, but don’t forget to occasionally update!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ACF as must-use plugin?’ is closed to new replies.