Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Ability to group taxonomies in optgroups

Solving

Ability to group taxonomies in optgroups

• Select fields are rendered differently for taxonomy fields than for regular select fields. The regular ones you can alter using the acf/load_field filter, for instance by grouping values in optgroups.

But as taxonomies are rendered using wp_list_categories() and the acf_taxonomy_field_walker, I can’t alter the selectable choices. Instead, in my custom acf/load_field filter, I had to set $field[‘type’] = ‘select’; when presenting a front-end form. Unfortunately, that started messing with the field’s real settings, which now showed up with Field Type: Select (what I did inside the filter hook seems to update the field itself).

Is there any way to get around this?

• I partially solved this issues by (obviously…) only applying the filter on front-end pages.

However, $field[‘type’] = ‘select’ it not intuitive and feels like a hack, so I still suggest implementing choices filtering support for taxonomies.

• Hi @alexanderwallin

This may be a limitation of using the walker object..

Not sure what we can do for the moment, your hack seems like the most logical solution for the moment.

Thanks
    E

• Yeah, I suppose. You can send some options to the walker’s construcor, but it’s probably gonna be messy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Ability to group taxonomies in optgroups’ is closed to new replies.