Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues A better way using ACF…

Helping

A better way using ACF…

• Hello and happy thanksgiving!

I was directed to the general forum to tap into the collective expertise here.

We have a bibliography (~400 articles with more to come) with title, author, publishing date, publishing source, page numbers, a text abstract (~100 words) and a few other bits of data. I am looking to use ACF (with other appropriate software as needed) as several devs have told me it’s second to none and that overall management would be much easier.

Right now….
    We are storing the bibliography data in a Google Sheet which I periodically update and import into the back end of our Web site with WP All Import. Data then moves into WP Types’ Toolset which then renders it on a webpage. Toolset was set up – Types and Views – to make all this happen. Toolset has a Search Tool which was also set up. I hope I am explaining it well enough. I think I am. 🙂

We are looking for an alternate and hopefully simpler solution. One which nontechnical researchers can enter articles in and I can manage in both back and front ends.

Can ACF be used for this type of project?
    How would we set up ACF for this project?
    Can ACF provide a search tool to find items in the database?

I look forward to hearing comments, direction and any resources which will help me move our project along.

Thank you
    Neil

(Absent any replies when I posted in presales about a month ago, I was directed here)

• Can ACF be used for this type of project?

Yes it can, but it would be more complicated than the tool you are using. The one you mentioned is really meant for non-coders where ACF is really meant for those that want to build the code themselves. ACF only provides the admin field for entering information, what you do with that information, including how it is shown on the front of the site is entirely up to you and the code that you build.

How would we set up ACF for this project?

Actually, this would be far more involved that could be stated here. It would depend on the specific details of your project.

Can ACF provide a search tool to find items in the database?

No. As I noted above. ACF does not provide any front end functionality or even admin functionality other than building the UI that others use to enter the information. Searching this information would be completely dependent you building code to do the searching.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘A better way using ACF…’ is closed to new replies.