Support

Account

Home Forums Gutenberg 5.8 Release

Solving

5.8 Release

• Hello! I am excitedly awaiting an update to beta or release of ACF Pro 5.8 with Gutenberg block building support. I work at Pantheon and have some agencies asking about how they can plan to continue to use ACF for their custom work and when ACF 5.8 will be released. Any chance there are some behind-the-scenes soft deadlines set yet?

• +11111111111111111111 other people waiting for this

• +1.

We’re an agency building WP sites and up until now have held off moving to anything Gutenbergy, instead sticking to Classic Editor and existing modular ACF approach. It’d be really good to hear what the roadmap is for Gutenberg ACF Blocks – broadly we’re trying to make the decision about 1) whether to move in this direction or 2) ignore Gutenberg completely and continue as we are or 3) move away from ACF.

I think 1) is definitely our preferred – but would need some reassurance that the approach being taken with ACF blocks is sustainable in the long term.

Be good to hear what’s happening, and when.

cheers

Mike

• Elliot said that he’s working on 5.7.12 and hoping to get it out today, then moving to 5.8 beta-4 which will include the 5.7.12 changes and any new work towards getting 5.8 officially released so we can get to building custom blocks.

• Hello, i just started working on a project and Gutenberg would be a great add on, is there any ETA of 5.8 release?

Thanks.

• +1 Same boat as djme

I also have clients asking about the Block Editor and it’s difficult, especially with the larger clients, to reply “I don’t know!” when asked about a timescale for converting everything to the new editor.

ACF has become such an important part of what i do on a daily basis so i have no intention of taking a different route unless absolutely necessary.

I’m definitely keen to see a beta 4 for 5.8 and like djme, am keen to see some reassurance that the approach being taken with ACF blocks is sustainable in the long term.

Cheers,
    Dan.

• Same question here as well. Keeping clients on the classic editor doesn’t feel like a sustainable solution, but neither is deploying beta software to production sites. What’s the plan?

Thanks.

• Going to be honest, right now I don’t feel that the new editor is the right choice for 99% of my clients. It’s buggy as hell and it’s not intuitive to use. Most of my clients could not use it, nor do they want to use it. Maybe in a year or 2 when the get the bugs worked out and do make is so that it’s not a chore for them to use it. My client’s have simple needs that are not met by the new editor. My plans right now are to continue using ACF, if they don’t make gooberbug more user friendly then just to disable it and use ACF wysiwyg fields as a replacement hoping that Elliot will find a way to keep Tiny MCE as a field type choice. But that’s just my nickels worth of opinion.

• Are we going to have the section / inner block functionality? I don’t think there’s a point in creating something Gutenberg-compatible without that.

• I don’t disagree. At the moment it’s rather clumsy and inefficient to use, plus it’s not especially time-saving to have styling available for lots of different options when I have to rewrite and update many of those styles to actually use them. But is this approach sustainable?

• @hazard, Is my approach sustainable? At the moment I have no idea. It all depends on what WP does with the rest of the admin and if they continue to provide a way to disable it. I know that Elliot is working on and/or looking into how to let the “Hide on screen” settings continue to work and being able to hide the new editor (https://github.com/AdvancedCustomFields/acf/issues/112) along with several other things. At this point there is no way to know how it will pan out. All I can see right now is a swamp and I’m waiting for enough muck to clear so I can find a way forward. It might be with WP and gooberbug, or it might be WP + ACF or it may be ClassicPress or it may be a complete shift to another CMS. Or, if I’m really lucky, I’ll find a way to retire and not need to make the decision at all 😛

• I don’t think there is an official timeframe for the release of 5.8, but Elliot said on Twitter that he is aiming for Feb or March.

I have been playing with Gutenberg Blocks today in 5.8 beta 3, and it works really well for me.The post-TinyMCE world isn’t seeming quite as bleak now.

I see blocks and custom fields working in tandem, rather than having to choose one approach or the other. They fulfil different roles:

Blocks are useful for formatting a single “blob” of content, such as a blog post. They are a replacement for everything we would previously have put into TinyMCE (duh).

Custom Fields are useful for data that needs to be displayed or acted on outside of that “blob”. For example start and end dates for an event. Sure, you *could* save the dates inside a block, but it is much easier to perform date comparisons on meta data, the way we’ve always done with ACF.

At this stage my only gripes about how ACF integrates with Gutenberg is that the “hide editor” option doesn’t work, nor is it possible to display custom fields above the editor.

It is great to hear that Elliot is working on this, though (per the github issue that John linked to). If/when we can hide the editor then I think we will have arrived at a happy place.

In the meantime I came up with a workaround that effectively removes the Gutenberg editor, leaving only the title and ACF fields. The trick is to disable ALL block types for your CPT:

add_filter('allowed_block_types', 'my_allowed_block_types', 10, 2);
    function my_allowed_block_types($allowed_blocks, $post) {
      if( $post->post_type === 'myCPT' ) {
         return array();
        }
    }
  • I don’t think there is an official timeframe for the release of 5.8, but Elliot said on Twitter that he is aiming for February or March.

I have been playing with Gutenberg Blocks today in 5.8 beta 3, and it works really well for me.The post-TinyMCE world isn’t seeming quite as bleak now.

I see blocks and custom fields working in tandem, rather than having to choose one approach or the other. They fulfil different roles:

Blocks are useful for formatting a single “blob” of content, such as a blog post. They are a replacement for everything we would previously have put into TinyMCE (duh).

Custom Fields are useful for data that needs to be displayed or acted on outside of that “blob”. For example start and end dates for an event. Sure, you *could* save the dates inside a block, but it is much easier to perform date comparisons on meta data, the way we’ve always done with ACF.

At this stage my only gripes about how ACF integrates with Gutenberg is that the “hide editor” option doesn’t work, nor is it possible to display custom fields above the editor.

It is great to hear that Elliot is working on this, though (per the github issue that John linked to). If/when we can hide the editor then I think we will have arrived at a happy place.

In the meantime I came up with a workaround that effectively removes the Gutenberg editor, leaving only the title and ACF fields. The trick is to disable ALL block types for your CPT:

add_filter('allowed_block_types', 'my_allowed_block_types', 10, 2);
    function my_allowed_block_types($allowed_blocks, $post) {
      if( $post->post_type === 'myCPT' ) {
         return array();
        }
    }
  • to be brutally honest, i am checking EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. hoping 5.8 is released. I have been developing a small addon for Gutenberg, using uikit as a framework, and my blocks have like 98% average performance and pagespeed on Google Lighthouse, and 0 accessibility errors on Wave. I have been developing them since 5.8 beta 1 came out and here comes the huge BUT – i can’t use them into production in my Sage environment as using betas in such context is kind of complicated and, after all, not safe.

So, i will be checking again every single day, shedding tears of sadness and loneliness until 5.8 is not released. [crescendo of dramatic violins in the background].

Thanks in advance. 🙂

• Here the same 😅
    Holding projects till the release of 5.8 coz everybody wantes gutenberg 😂

Thank you

• You may see a -beta4 some time this week. At least that’s what I hear.

• [pushes reload over and over again on the download page, his eyes full of hope]

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘5.8 Release’ is closed to new replies.