Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Setting up front end filtering and sorting by custom fields

Solving

Setting up front end filtering and sorting by custom fields

• Hi, I’m working on a site here: http://tlc.mainteractivegroup.com/find-my-apartment/

I need to set up some filtering and sorting. The SELECT boxes need to be filters based on custom field input. I still have to tweak how the data is input, but you should get the idea.

The column headings need to sort ASC/DSC by that column when clicked.

I tried searching for over an hour on google yesterday and most of the info was for setting up column sorting on the WP-Admin side.

If anyone can help me get pointed in the right direction as to how to do both the filtering and sorting by custom field values, I would be forever grateful.

Thanks!

• Hi there,

I would start by checking out this tutorial => http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/tutorials/creating-wp-archive-custom-field-filter/

It shows you how to setup a filter based on a custom field that you should be able to adapt to your needs.

• Ok so I went through that tutorial – bedrooms was already one of the fields I need to sort by, so I thought it would be easy – however, I am having a lot of trouble with this still.

This is the code I put in my functions file:

add_action('pre_get_posts', 'my_pre_get_posts');

function my_pre_get_posts( $query ) {

if( is_admin() ) { return; }

$meta_query = $query->get('meta_query'); // get original meta query

// validate type
        if( empty($_GET['bedrooms']) )
        {
    	    return;
        }

// get types as an array
        // - use explode to get an array of values from type=a|b|c
        $bedrooms = explode('|', $_GET['bedrooms']);

// set compare for the meta_query
        // - http://codex.wordpress.org/Class_Reference/WP_Query
        $meta_query['relation'] = 'OR';

foreach( $bedrooms as $bedroom )
        {
    	    $meta_query[] = array(
                'key'       => 'bedrooms',
                'value'     => '"' . $bedroom . '"',
                'compare'   => 'LIKE',
            );
        }

$query->set('meta_query', $meta_query); // update the meta query args

return; // always return
    }

This is the code I have on the page I want to have filtering:

<div id="search-houses">
    <?php 

$field = get_field_object('bedrooms');
    	$values = explode(',', $_GET['bedrooms']);

?>
    	<ul>
    		<?php foreach( $field['choices'] as $choice_value => $choice_label ): ?>
    			<li>
    				<input type="checkbox" value="<?php echo $choice_value; ?>" <?php if( in_array($choice_value, $values) ): ?>checked="checked"<?php endif; ?> /> <?php echo $choice_label; ?></li>
    			</li>
    		<?php endforeach; ?>
    	</ul>
    </div>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    (function($) {

$('#search-houses').on('change', 'input[type="checkbox"]', function(){

// vars
    		var $ul = $(this).closest('ul'),
    			vals = [];

$ul.find('input:checked').each(function(){

vals.push( $(this).val() );

});

vals = vals.join(",");

window.location.replace('<?php echo home_url('find-my-apartment'); ?>?bedrooms=' + vals);

console.log( vals );

});

})(jQuery);	
    </script>

This is the page: http://tlc.mainteractivegroup.com/find-my-apartment/

The first problem is that it is giving me a PHP error on this line:<?php foreach( $field['choices'] as $choice_value =>

The second problem is, when I add ?bedrooms=3 or any other number to the URL it goes to a 404 page.

The third thing I noticed – don’t know if this matters or not but when I add ?post_type=apartment to the URL it brings up the page just fine.

So I really need some help getting this part at least functional. I also don’t really understand completely how this function interacts with the existing loop I have on the page. You can see below the PHP error I have a loop that displays out all the apartments with the custom fields. Do I need to do anything to change that loop for this to work?

Thanks in advance!

• Hi @lewmaster

The first thing I noticed is that your pre_get_posts filter uses this code:

$bedrooms = explode('|', $_GET['bedrooms']);

This should be:

$bedrooms = explode(',', $_GET['bedrooms']);

Please debug your code line by line to make sure all variables are correct and that your output is as desired.

Thanks
    E

• Thanks so much for getting back to me. I switched the | back to a , and double checked my variables and it looks basically just like the sample code. I am still getting the same error. It is on this line

foreach( $field['choices'] as $choice_value => $choice_label ):

I’m not sure what ‘choices’ is supposed to be.

Also – I maybe didn’t mention this before but this is pulling from a custom post type rather than regular posts. Does that make a difference?

• Ok so I did make a little progress on this.

I set up a second instance of the site on another server to do some further testing.

I was finally able to get it to somewhat work here: http://sandbox.webcontempodata.com/?bedrooms=2

It correctly pulls the data and formats it the way I want it. The only way I could get it to work was by not assigning a custom home page – so that it uses index.php to pull homepage content, and then I added the code from my original apartment finder home page to index.php.

So I guess the main question is: how do I get it to work just like this, but on an interior page like this: http://tlc.mainteractivegroup.com/find-my-apartment/

Also – any idea why I would be getting the PHP error on one site and not on the other when they both are set up the same?

• Hi @lewmaster
    It looks liek the issue is coming from the ACF field not being found. Can you please debug the $field variable like so:

$field = get_field_object('bedrooms');
    echo '<pre>';
    	print_r( $field );
    echo '</pre>';

My guess is that ACF does not know where to find the field. The get_field_object function will only work if a value has already been saved to the current $post.

If your code is not run on single post page, then ACF will not be able to load the field. Perhaps you will need to change bedrooms to the field_key.

using the field_key removes the need to lookup the value => key relationship.

Thanks
    E

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Setting up front end filtering and sorting by custom fields’ is closed to new replies.