Support

Account

Home Forums Front-end Issues Math quiz anti-spam – can this be done in ACF?

Unread

Math quiz anti-spam – can this be done in ACF?

• Hi-

I’ve been trying to come up with a solution to this problem for a while now but it seems I’m stuck and getting more stuck the more I think about it.

I want to add a question field to a front end form and validate the input against a predefined answer, like so: Q: “2+2″ A:”four”. However, I want the question to be randomly picked from a list of questions.

I’ve tried a repeater, but apparently, it’s impossible to only show one subfield of a randomly selected repeater row in a form and validate the input value against another field in that row which isn’t shown in the form.

So I had the idea to create a field-type plugin called “quiz” for which I added additional variables to the $field-object (question/answer). The question is then displayed as field “instruction”. I then created an options page for questions and answers and an options-repeater, and loaded the q/a values randomly into the additional $field variables when the form was displayed, so I could later validate against them on submit.

The problem with this approach appears to be that acf/load_value is apparently called during the submmission/validation process as well, at which point the random row selection gets called again and potentially picks a different row from the question/answers-options-group. In which case a previously correct submitted answer will no longer be the correct answer.

So one question would be: Is there a way in this setup to ensure that the same question and answer loaded via acf/load_value and displayed in the form prior to its submission are then used to validate the input value (without showing the q and a to bots as hidden fields in the form, which would kind of beat the purpuse)?

Or maybe I’m going about this completely wrong? In that case my question would be: can this be done in ACF (front-end) at all?

Thanks for any help!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies to offer you a better browsing experience, analyze site traffic and personalize content. Read about how we use cookies and how you can control them in our Cookie Policy. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.