Support

Account

Home Forums Feature Requests Idea for an "Add New" option for Taxonomy Field

Solved

Idea for an "Add New" option for Taxonomy Field

• Not sure whether here or github is the better place to post this, but I figured I would throw this out there in case anybody is interested. I don’t know if this is currently being worked on, but right now users are not able to add new terms to the taxonomy field option without first manually creating them outside of ACF.

Although this may be a bit hacky, I thought that until a better solution is implemented why not do this. Right above the input box, insert a small “Add New” link so that when the user clicks on it, the edit-tags page for the relevant taxonomy opens up as an iframe within a simple modal box. On the actual window, hide the close button and instead include a “Return to page after saving” link that refreshes the current page. So first the user clicks on the “Add new” link, enters the new taxonomy term and saves it, then clicks the “Return to page after saving” link which refreshes the current page that now includes their new taxonomy term in the options for the taxonomy field.

Is this too over the top? I think it would be easier for clients then to have them go to another metabox, add a new category, save the page, then go back to the ACF metabox to select a new field.

• Hi @truheart

Thanks for the feature request. I will be adding in a text input to the taxonomy field soon.

Thanks
    E

• Hi Elliot,

Could you tell us more about the arrival of the evolution of the taxonomy field?

Thanks a lot.

Teddy

• Hi Elliot.

This thread looks very similar to what I’m looking for. My client wants a tag cloud that users can select items from (example), but also add new items with an input field. The cloud should be sorted by popularity and perhaps have a configurable limit.

Hope this fits into your plans and maybe you can add it along the way.

Sorry for the load of questions lately, this project is pushing my limits.

Thanks!

• Native taxonomy field doesn’t allow us to limit the terms in a post.
    With ACF taxonomy field we can do that, but we don’t have the “Add New”.

This feature would be beneficial in a lot of cases. Ex: use taxonomy for the cities in a person address, so you avoid duplicates that contains typo and you will also be able to filter the frontend posts using taxonomy.

• Elliot,

is there a timeframe as to when this will show up in ACF5?

Thanks 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Idea for an "Add New" option for Taxonomy Field’ is closed to new replies.