Support

Account

Home Forums Front-end Issues Get User Sub-Field Select Options

Solving

Get User Sub-Field Select Options

• I am attempting to get a list of all of the options available for a particular select field. That select field is within a repeater field, and is associated with user profiles, rather than posts.

I have tried using get_field_objects() to get the full list of fields, but, unless I specify a User ID that actually has data associated with my custom fields, the get_field_objects() function returns false.

So, if I try get_field_objects() all by itself, I get false.

If I try get_field_objects( 'user_1' ), I also get false, because the user with an ID of 1 hasn’t added any of the ACF field information to their profile.

I am finding that I have to know ahead of time which user(s) has added extra information to their profile before I can even get the list of fields.

Then, of course, I have to loop through the sub-fields until I find the one I’m looking for, and return its choices.

Is there any easier way to just get all field/sub-field objects that are assigned to the User Profile form; or do I have to know a specific user ID in order to get them? Thanks.

• Are you trying to get the choice of the select field?

Or all of the choices that have been selected?

• I’m so sorry for not replying sooner; somehow I overlooked your response.

Are you trying to get the choice of the select field?

Or all of the choices that have been selected?

Neither, I am trying to get all of the available options for a select element.

For instance, let’s say I have the following select element:

<select name="my-select">
    <option value="first-option">First Option</option>
    <option value="second-option">Second Option</option>
    <option value="third-option">Third Option</option>
    <option value="fourth-option">Fourth Option</option>
    <option value="fifth-option">Fifth Option</option>
    </select>

I want to be able to query ACF somehow to get an array that might look something like:

array(
    'first-option' => 'First Option',
    'second-option' => 'Second Option', 
    'third-option' => 'Third Option', 
    'fourth-option' => 'Fourth Option', 
    'fifth-option' => 'Fifth Option',
    );

Thanks.

• You’re still loosing me.

We’re talking about an ACF select field. When you create the field you set the choices.

get_field('field_name') will get what has been selected for a specific post.

get_field_object('field_name') will get the field object, including the the choices you have defined. However, this call (using the field name) will only work if this field has been updated and has a value assigned to it.

if you want to get a field object even when no value has previously been saved to it then you need to use the field key. get_field('field_1234567') where ‘field_1234567’ represents the field key of the select field.

When you get the field object $field = get_field_object($selector) $field will contain all the setting for the field and the choices that you’ve set for the field will be in $field['choices']. This will be an array containing value=>label pairs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Get User Sub-Field Select Options’ is closed to new replies.