Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Dynamic value for message field

Solved

Dynamic value for message field

• Hi

I would like to be able to add a message field with a dynamic value, including the current post id etc. I am trying to use the code below to update the field but am not sure if the message field works with the update_field function and which admin hook to use.

global $post;

$field_key = "field_52010a6df2739";
    $value = $post->ID;  
    update_field( $field_key, $value, $post->ID );

Thanks

• Hi @phantomdentist

I don’t think you need to use the update_field function. This function is to update a value and would not affect the message field data.

Perhaps what you realy want is to use the acf/load_field filter and customize the $field data on the fly using the current $post data

Please read the docs to learn more about this filter

• I’m sorry if I continue on this instead of creating a new topic, but i’m exactly looking to do the same. For me load_field updates the message in the back-end instead of doing it on the fly.

I wrote a placeholder in themessage text, which gets replaced with the value I set in the function. Maybe I understand the function incorrectly, but I thought this function was meant to override the message value before being displayed, but not store it, since it’s different per user/post.

• Not updating the value in the DB you’ll need to add some conditionals in your load field filter so that it is not altered when editing the field group.

add_filter('acf/load_field/name=field_name', 'alter_message');
    function alter_message($field) {
      $post = get_queried_object();
      if (isset($post->post_type, $post->ID) && $post->post_type != 'acf-field-group') {
        // alter the field
      }
      return $field;
    }

• I came to a similar conclusion and ended up with this:

if ( is_page( 'edit-ad' ) ) {
        if ( isset( $_GET['id'] ) ) {
            $ad_id = $_GET['id'];
            $location_values = get_field( 'sd_city_selector', $ad_id );
            $field['instructions'] = '<strong>Your location is: ' . $location_values['cityNameAscii'] . ' (' . $location_values['countryCode'] . ')</strong>';
        }
    }

I wanted to populate a message field, but for space I decided to use the instructions field instead.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Dynamic value for message field’ is closed to new replies.