Support

Account

Home Forums Bug Reports Database not updating after changing "š" to s in field name

Solved

Database not updating after changing "š" to s in field name

• Hi,
    I’ve noticed a problem when using your (awesome) plugin: I created subfields in repeater, and wanted my field names to be without diacritical marks. So I went ahead and manualy corrected the ones that hadn’t been converted for me. However after saving my ACF settings I realized I forgot about one field name, but after upadting “š” letter to “s” in it, it didn’t work. After some tinkering, I came to conclusion that when letters with diacritical marks are changed, database doesn’t reflect / notice the changes. Could that be the issue?

If I may suggest btw, it’d be really helpful for automatic field name generator to omit all diacritical marks by default.

• Hi @selrond

I believe this issue is related to your database collation. This page should give you more idea about it: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11702432/mysql-utf8-latin-fails-on-duplicate-key-entry.

To fix it, you need to change the database entries that has the old key manually.

Also, ACF PRO has the feature to omit all diacritical marks by default. Unfortunately, it’s not in the free version.

I hope this makes sense 🙂

• I’m using utf8mb4_general_ci. Is this the case with this collation as well?

• Hi @selrond

I believe utf8mb4_general_ci has the same behavior: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21919576/clarification-on-potential-issues-with-equality-of-accented-characters-with-non. Like the one mentioned in the link I gave you in my previous reply, you can use binary collation. Unfortunately, it has other issues.

So for now, the best solution is to change the database manually. Don’t forget to backup your database before changing it.

I hope this helps 🙂

• @acf-support thank you for clarification, so there is an option in the PRO version to to allow just basic latin characters for field label to field name conversion?
    One last question: so the ACF’s database data are not serialized?

• Hi @selrond

Yes, the PRO version will convert it to the basic Latin characters. I’ve attached a screen recording for your reference.

Regarding your other question, it depends on the field type. For fields with multiple values like gallery field or relationship field, ACF serializes the values. But for a simple field like a text field, ACF doesn’t need to serialize it.

I hope this makes sense 🙂

• @acf-support thank ou for your time and great responses.
    I’m somewhat a beginner in WP development, but since I got the chance to work with ACF, I’m seriously considering investing in the PRO version.

Thank you 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Database not updating after changing "š" to s in field name’ is closed to new replies.