Support

Account

Home Forums Backend Issues (wp-admin) Change file upload path for one specific field.

Solved

Change file upload path for one specific field.

• I can’t get this to direct images to a folder…

add_filter('acf/upload_prefilter/name=field_6140aa779827d', 'field_name_upload_prefilter');
    function field_nameupload_prefilter($errors) {
      echo '<pre>Hello world 1</pre>';
      // in this filter we add a WP filter that alters the upload path
      add_filter('upload_dir', 'field_name_upload_dir');
      echo '<pre>Hello world 2</pre>';
      return $errors;
    }

// second filter
    function field_name_upload_dir($uploads) {
      // here is where we later the path
      $uploads['path'] = $uploads['basedir'].'/companies';
      $uploads['url'] = $uploads['baseurl'].'/companies';
      $uploads['subdir'] = 'logos';
      echo '<pre>Hello world 4</pre>';
      return $uploads;
    }

Field type is Image, name “Company Logo” (“companylogo”, “field_6140aa779827d”).
    Aim is to upload a company logo but siphon it to a child of “uploads” – “uploads/companies/logos“.
    But it continues going to “uploads/2021/09“.

None of my “Hello world” test lines are displayed, which may suggest the filter isn’t firing at all (?).

Any thoughts?

• Three more things:

+1)
    I see from the doc, when a key is passed, the prefilter should take parameter “key=”, not “name=” – so I’ve changed this.

+2)
    Even so, looking in debug.log, I see…
    [15-Sep-2021 12:11:20 UTC] PHP Warning: call_user_func_array() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, function 'field_name_upload_prefilter' not found or invalid function name in /Users/MyName/Sites/sitename/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 305

+3)
    When I amend to correct the underscore typo (field_nameupload_prefilter to field_name_upload_prefilter, the warning is solved – the file successfully uploads… to /uploads/companies – but not /uploads/companies/logos. Ergo, I may be misunderstanding the role of subdir for wp_upload_dir.

So, the following works nicely…

add_filter('acf/upload_prefilter/key=field_6140aa779827d', 'field_name_upload_prefilter');
    function field_name_upload_prefilter($errors) {
      // in this filter we add a WP filter that alters the upload path
      add_filter('upload_dir', 'field_name_upload_dir');
      return $errors;
    }

// second filter
    function field_name_upload_dir($uploads) {
      // here is where we later the path
      $uploads['path'] = $uploads['basedir'].'/companies/logos';
      $uploads['url'] = $uploads['baseurl'].'/companies/logos';
      // $uploads['subdir'] = 'logos';
      return $uploads;
    }

… I commented-out subdir and added the full path to basedir and baseurl. Is this acceptable?

• From everything I see in the examples by others here https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/wp_upload_dir/ they are doing what you are doing. $uploads[‘path’] contains the sub directory as well.

I don’t know how it works, I think that subdir is only use if you have the media library set to group uploads by date.

• I creating a form using various ACF fields.

For the “file” field, I want to customize the folder location for each of the file fields.

I have 3 scenarios:

Simple file upload field with name file1 – should be located to wp-content/uploads/simple-files

File field with the group field – should be located to wp-content/uploads/groups

Field Structure: Group 1 -> File 1 AND Field Path: uploads/groups/group1/file1

Field Structure: Group 1 -> File 2 AND Field Path: uploads/groups/group1/file2

File field with group field and the repeater field – should be located to wp-content/uploads/group-repeat

Field Structure: Group 1-> Repeater -> File 1 AND Field Path: uploads/groups/group-repeat1/repeater1/file1

Field Structure: Group 1-> Repeater -> File 2 AND Field Path: uploads/groups/group-repeat1/repeater1/file2

Please help he understand how I can achieve this using ACF hooks.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Change file upload path for one specific field.’ is closed to new replies.