Support

Account

Home Forums Add-ons Flexible Content Field acf_add_local_field() in Flexible Content layout removes pre-existing fields

Solved

acf_add_local_field() in Flexible Content layout removes pre-existing fields

• I’ve got a Flexible Content Field containing multiple layouts, and each layout has a number of fields added via wp-admin. When I use acf_add_local_field() to programmatically add a field to one of these layouts, the new field is added but all other fields in the Flexible Content Field (not just that one layout, but all layouts) disappear.

I can’t find anything on this in the docs, and perhaps that’s my search skills being sub-par, in which case feel free to point me in the right direction.

Is this the intended behaviour? Is there a way to get around it and keep the fields defined in admin as well as the programmatically defined field?

Here’s a sample of the code I’m using:

add_action('acf/init', 'add_some_field');
    function add_some_field(){
    	acf_add_local_field(array(
    		'key' => 'field_test_123',
    		'label' => 'TEST FIELD',
    		'name' => 'test_field',
    		'type' => 'text',
    		'parent_layout' => '57a871c336e7b', // The layout's key
    		'parent' => 'field_5784aa9f079d5', // The Flexible Content Field's key
    	));
    }
  • Hi @erika_thefarm

I’m afraid you can’t add additional fields via PHP code to a flexible content that is created via wp-admin (backend). Kindly create the whole flexible content via PHP only or via wp-admin only.

I hope this makes sense 🙂

• Thanks, that explains why it didn’t work! 🙂

(Out of curiosity, does the same hold for adding fields to fields/groups other than Flexible Content? Or is Flexible Content special in this regard?)

• Hi @erika_thefarm

I believe you can add fields via PHP to a field group, but only if it’s an empty group. If not, it will remove all of the existing fields.

Hope this helps 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘acf_add_local_field() in Flexible Content layout removes pre-existing fields’ is closed to new replies.