Support

Account

Home Forums Bug Reports ACF PRO: Possible bug in acf/save_post

Solving

ACF PRO: Possible bug in acf/save_post

• Prior to upgrading ACF4 to ACF PRO with developer license, I had a function that was executed on acf/save_post with priority 1 to be able to compare previous and new value of a specific field.

After upgrading to ACF PRO, acf/save_post with priority 1 (before fields are saved) doesn’t seem to work any different than priority 10 (after fields are saved).

When running the function, I get an error that says $_POST[‘fields’] is not defined.

Is it possible that this is a bug, or am i missing something?

I’m using the action inside a plugin like so:
    add_action('acf/save_post', array($this, 'compare_field_values'), 1);

• Bumping this since it’s unread…

• Have the same exact problem.

• Is someone looking into this? It was reported 1,5 month ago and keeps me from upgrading several sites from ACF 4 to 5.

• Second that! I’m working on a new site that using v5 and now I’m stuck cause of this bug.

• I think I have this problem as well.

• What I’m trying to do is compare the old and new values of a field when a post is saved using acf/save_post with priority 1, which is supposed to run before ACF saves the $_POST[‘acf’] data.

The field values always comes out equal, which they are not supposed to do, right?

Example data:
    field_abc123 old value: Title One
    field_abc123 new value: Title Two

Example code:

function compare_field_values($post_id) {
        // Print old and new field values
        var_dump(get_field('field_abc123', $post_id);
        var_dump($_POST['acf']['field_abc123']);    

// Exit to be able to debug the field values
        exit();
    }
    add_action('acf/save_post', array($this, 'compare_field_values'), 1);

So, anyone have any idea on how to solve this? Or is there a bug in ACF when setting the priority to 1 on acf/save_post?

• I can confirm this bug with the 5/PRO (5.08) version as well.
    Any thoughts?

• It’s very annoying since it keeps me from upgrading several client’s sites to ACF PRO. I will try to get Elliot Condon’s attention on this problem.

• Hi guys.

Sorry for the late reply.

It is no longer possible to hook into the ‘acf/save_post’ action (with a priority of less than 10) before ACF has saved it’s data.

Instead, you can hook into the validation which is always run before saving. This can be done on a field by field level with the filter acf/validate_field (http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/acf-validate_value/) or the action 'acf/validate_save_post' (no docs yet, but found in core/input.php on line 430)

Also, $_POST['fields'] has changed to a safer $_POST['acf']

Sorry for the inconvenience, and please be sure to let me know if the logic you are trying to accomplish is not possible with these alternatives.

• Hello Elliot

The suggested validate logic is not solving the issue for me unfortunately. Any chance of bringing back the save_post logic or any specific reason you’ve removed it? I was generating a stylesheet upon Options Save with the following code:

function generate_stylesheet() {
      // Generate stylesheet
    }

// After theme options save
    add_action('acf/save_post', 'generate_stylesheet', 20);

.. so it was dependent on the action to run AFTER the Save as all the new values needs to be fully saved in db before it triggers the stylesheet creation.

If acf/save_post after action is gone forever, what would be your recommendation for a comparable solution in my case?

Thanks!

• Any updates on this? I basically just need a function to run after an option page has been saved.. Should be possible right?

Gesen, did you get it working somehow?

• Haven’t hade the time to try it out until now.

Just to back up a bit: I’m trying to compare the new value of a field to its previous value. To be able to do this I need to know the field name/key, the previous value, and the new value. To get the previous value, I need to know the post ID of the post that’s being saved.

When trying out the acf/validate_value/name=[field_name] action, I can’t get the post ID since the action only returns the following four arguments: $valid, $value, $field, $input.

So, @Elliot Condon, any way to get the post ID inside acf/validate_value/name=[field_name]?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘ACF PRO: Possible bug in acf/save_post’ is closed to new replies.