Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Taxonomy field on taxonomy term? Reply To: Taxonomy field on taxonomy term?

• Just curious to add a couple of things/questions here…

1. Does the code I have used above match the kind of suggestion you had given the circumstances?

(To convey a company type, I have weighed up using either 1) a taxonomy, linked to the company term via an ACF field, or 2) just an ACF field itself. My code above uses a taxonomy).

2. I’m now considering that the “company type” descriptor may actually need to be multiple

In other words, I may have available multiple source pieces of data with which to describe my companies…

1. “tags”
    2. “category: sector”
    3. “category: industryGroup”
    4. “category: industry”
    5. “category: subIndustry”
    6. “category: sicCode”
    7. “category: naicsCode”

I am now considering that, if I choose to use them all, this is clearly too much to fit in to one “company type” as taxonomy.

So I am now considering going back to baking the company descriptive field/s in to the company term itself as ACF fields, and not using a separate “company type” taxonomy…

i)

I had initially believed that doing it that way would make the looping slower.

But, since I am already currently linking that taxonomy to a term using an ACF field anyway, maybe there is no impact to just pulling that data from term meta (ACF fields on “company”) when it’s open (?).

ii)

I will still want to output posts by company type in various ways. I’d value discussing this…

It seems that using a taxonomy to describe “company type” gives the natural advantage of spinning up template pages (eg. taxonomy-orgtype-agency.php to output posts for all “agency” companies).

If I move to storing all “company type” fields as ACF fields against “company” terms themselves, how would I go about grouping output of posts per company type?

To simplify that question – say I have 200 ‘company” terms with a Checkbox “org_tag” value of “agency”. How do you output only those? …

Because, unlike a taxonomy, I assume there is no relation between entities with the same value? Is there an ACF field that does have this relational database-ability? Leaving aside the Relationship, which seems to want a relationship with a Post.