I’m not sure if I understand what are you trying to do. It seems that you want to:
1. Create an URL field
2. Download an image from a remote host and push it to the WP media library
3. Set this image as a post featured image.
It is possible, but it’s not really an ACF-related issue.
You have to
1. use ACF hooks (or even a native WordPress
2. When a post gets saved you have to get remote image url
3. Download the file from a remote server (for example with
file_get_contents()), save it in a temporary location
wp_insert_attachment() in order to push it into the media library. There’s a code sample in the Codex: https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_insert_attachment
Yes, I know it’s overcomplicated. But this is the only solution. WordPress images handling sucks so much…
Welcome to the Advanced Custom Fields community forum.
Browse through ideas, snippets of code, questions and answers between fellow ACF users
Helping others is a great way to earn karma, gain badges and help ACF development!