Support

Account

Home Forums Feature Requests Allow setting a default value for Post Object fields Reply To: Allow setting a default value for Post Object fields

• I realize this is nearly a year later, but this is how I set a default.

The site I am working on has several custom post types that are being used for several things, three of which are “blogs”. There is another that is a ‘widget-post’ that is used for repeating items in different places, and it’s one of these I needed to include by default in my blogs.

I added a custom field to the widget-posts that allows one to be flagged as a default. I then set up the below function that will insert meta data via ‘save_post’, which is called upon when creating a new post. It will also retroactively save items that are edited.

/**
     * Function will set the default Editorial Team description post if it isn't set at all
     * This sets up the default upon creating a post
     * @uses The $blog_post_types array, which has to have all of the blog post types listed in it
     */
    function jp_blog_save_post( $post_id ) {

// get our post types
      global $post_type, $blog_post_types;

// if it doesn't match, exit
      if( ! in_array( $post_type, $blog_post_types ) )
        return;

// get the meta data
      $editorial_staff_post = get_post_meta( $post_id, 'editorial_staff_post', true );

// if it isn't set, set it
      if( $editorial_staff_post == '' ) {

// set up args
        $args = array(
          'post_type'   => 'widget-post',
          'meta_key'    => 'default_editorial_staff_description',
          'meta_value'  => 1,
          );

// get the post(s) that have the checkbox checked
        $wpost = get_posts( $args );

// set it as a default for this post
        update_post_meta( $post_id, 'editorial_staff_post', $wpost[0]->ID );
      }
    }
    add_action( 'save_post', 'jp_blog_save_post' );

Hope this helps anyone else that runs into this. I’m also sure it can be done with multiple choices.