Support

Account

Home Forums Gutenberg Looking for perspective on Gutenburg Reply To: Looking for perspective on Gutenburg

• Here is my perspective on guberbug, can you tell by what I call it.

I made the decision when it was first added that I will disable it and continue with ACF. There is nothing in ACF that should not work for the foreseeable future.

WP is not changing its underlying functionality. Custom fields continue to work. Nothing in the database or anything to do with post/term/user meta is being changed.

Guberbug puts everything involved with blocks into post_content. I don’t see that changing. Until they make a major over-hall of the DB I don’t see most of how WP works changing. This major over-hall is simply never going to happen because that would mean rebuilding WP from the ground up.

Not only do I disable guberbug, but I also remove the classic editor from all post types as well and I only use ACF fields. This eliminates the possible future where WP disables classic editor on posts completely. They will continue, I believe, to allow post types to not support guberbug and for developers to build their own admins for custom post types. There are many examples of this in existing plugins where post types do not have content editors at all and depend on only custom fields. I also feel that ACF will always support a WYSIWYG editor in some form.