Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Get_fields() returns false until I update the post Reply To: Get_fields() returns false until I update the post

• I just tested acf_maybe_get_field() on a field that exists but was never saved. The function returns false. I have no idea how you are getting the field key by using that function if the field has no value.

Under these conditions this line should be causing a PHP Undefined Index Warning:

return $maybe_field_obj['key'];

There is no reliable way that I know of using just the field name to get a field key for a field that does not have a value for a specific post.

You could potentially use acf_maybe_get_field() if you supplied a post ID for a post that you know will have the value set. From what I’m hearing there would be no way to know what post ID to use.

You could possibly do a query to get a post where the field key references already exist. Let’s assume that you know that if the field “email” exists for a post and has a field key reference in the db that all other fields will also exist.

$args = array(
      'post_type' => 'your-post_type',
      'posts_per_page' => 1,
      'no_found_rows' => true,
      'meta_query' => array(
        array(
          'key' => '_email'
          'compare' => 'EXISTS'
        }
      )
    );
    $test_query = new WP_Query($args);
    if (!empty($test_query->posts) {
      $valid_fields_post_id = $test_query->posts[0]->ID;
    }

But this will not work unless you can be sure all of the field references exist. You could also check for the existence of all field key references but I think if you have too many fields you need to check that the query could time out.