Support

Account

Home Forums Front-end Issues Trigger Error on acf/save_post ? Reply To: Trigger Error on acf/save_post ?

• You’re right that there wouldn’t be a way to prevent the post from being submitted but there is a way to prevent the post being saved which in my use-case works just as well.

The acf/save_post hook with a priority less than 10 will fire before the post is saved. At this point I hit my API and if it fails I use the following code to redirect.

global $wp;

if( $apifailed ) {

$_POST['acf'] = array();
    	$query_args = $_GET;
    	$query_args['updated'] = 'notupdated';
    	$query_args['errcode'] = 1;

wp_safe_redirect( add_query_arg( $query_args, home_url( $wp->request ) ) );
    	exit();

}

ACF expected the updated query var parameter to not be empty ( it assumes 1 ) so to be clear that a post was not updated and that the updated parameter exists but is not empty I put a string message to indicate this.

Finally, the ACF form runs validate right off the bat, always. At this point I can modify the args to handle the error code:

/**
     * Modify the ACF Form args
     * @param Array $args
     * @return Array $args
     */
    function prefix_modify_form_args( $args ) {

if( isset( $_GET['errcode'] ) ) {

/**
    		 * Can switch the errcode but we'll go with something generic
    		 */
    		$args['updated_message'] = esc_html__( 'Something went wrong, XYZ not updated.' );
    		$args['html_updated_message'] = str_replace( 'class="updated"', 'class="error"', $args['html_updated_message'] );

}

return $args;

}
    add_filter( 'acf/validate_form', 'prefix_modify_form_args' );