I don’t know what is going on. I checked the change I made per your advice and it is retrieving the correct posts. It’s grabbing all the ones that have at least one of the same checkbox values while omitting those that didn’t.
But I just tried reverting back to use just $subject rather than '"'.$subject.'"' and now it’s working as it should. Besides adding post__not_id to exclude the current post, everything is the same as it was when it wasn’t working for me. Strange.
Welcome to the Advanced Custom Fields community forum.
Browse through ideas, snippets of code, questions and answers between fellow ACF users