Support

Solved

Taxonomy field type: filter to only show parents

Home Forums General Issues Taxonomy field type: filter to only show parents

• Is there an easy way to filter a taxonomy field type to only show the top level parent terms?

• elliot

• September 14, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Hi @digitalquery

Currently, there is no filter for the wp_list_categories args within the taxonomy field.

You can edit the core/fields/taxonomy field to add on in, however this may be removed after updating.

I’ll add this to the to-do and add it into the core.

Cheers
      E

• elliot

• September 17, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Hi @digitalquery

Good news. I have just added and pushed to github an update for the taxonomy field.
        This update contains a new filter allwoing you to customize the args used in the wp_list_categories function.

You can use it like so:

add_filter('acf/fields/taxonomy/wp_list_categories', 'my_taxonomy_args', 10, 2);

function my_taxonomy_args( $args, $field )
        {
            // do stuff to $args
            return $args;
        }

• :) fantastic, will test this out in the next couple of days, thanks

• Hey, just wanted to let you know that this works great – was able to add this line:

$args['depth'] = 1;

to the filter function and only show the top level taxonomy terms in the edit screen

• charlie

• October 1, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Great. I got it working too.

Is there a way this can be applied only to 1 specific taxonomy field? I have a filter that’s useful for one taxonomy field but not something I’d want to apply to all my taxonomy fields.

I tried in my add_filter function using ‘acf/fields/taxonomy/wp_list_categories/name=XYZ’ but that didn’t work (the field just displayed all the categories)

Alternatively I just might not be understanding this correctly.

Thanks

• elliot

• October 11, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Hi @charlie

Answer provided on http://support.advancedcustomfields.com/forums/topic/taxonomy-field-filter-to-only-show-parents/

Compare $field['name']

• socki03

• October 23, 2013 at 7:39 am

I updated taxonomy.php from the github version after finding out that 4.2.2 doesn’t include the $args array & application of filters. Will this be released in the next update? I’m just curious to make sure that this still works after the next ( or future ) updates. Thanks!

• elliot

• October 23, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Hi @socki03

Yes

• socki03

• October 24, 2013 at 1:12 am

@elliot Awesome. Thanks!!

Also, I have to say that I love this plugin, it makes WordPress SO. MUCH. BETTER.

Thanks again for all your work!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.