Support

Account

Home Forums Backend Issues (wp-admin) meta key instead of name on add new custom field, instead of name

Solving

meta key instead of name on add new custom field, instead of name

• Hi,
    I’m not sure how to describe this, but here it goes.
    When trying to add a new custom field on a page/post, on the drop down I get the CF key instead of the name, but this only happens for the most recent CF I’ve created, as you can see on the screen shot, the first ones look fine ( ingredients, content etc..).

Any advice?
    Screenshot: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3Nyd9WiNlKeTldnTDRVcUI3MzA/edit?usp=sharing

thank you

• Hi @dianaAvila

This is just WP picking up every meta_key possible from the db including the ACF private fields.

Is there an issue that these are in the list?

• Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately that is not the case, because most of the CF regular names are missing, so is not showing both, it’s showing the meta_keys and some of the names :(.

Even if this was the case, it will be an issue as well, the final user might get confused with all this keys.

Is there any way of ensuring all the CF are shown and that the meta_keys are excluded?

Thank you

• Hi @dianaAvila

The WP list of meta data will only show meta_keys that exist in the DB

It is most likely that you have created the fields in ACF, but have not saved any data to the database. This means WP has no idea of the metadata’s existence.

This is not an ACF issue. I hope you understand this.

• I had the exact same problem. I was getting ACF names like “field_5229dbec8dec1” and I couldn’t figure out how to get the proper names to appear even though that field had been named “food” and dummy data had been added to every custom field and published (so Elliot’s answer above is incorrect).

It took a while, but I realised that any custom field that I had named with any letter after ‘f’ was being replaced by the default meta key name.

So… I renamed every “custom field name” (not the label) with a prefix of “a-“.

I was now able to import my custom fields as intended, albeit with an ‘a-‘ prefix.

I hope this helps as a workaround for anyone with similar problems.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘meta key instead of name on add new custom field, instead of name’ is closed to new replies.