Support

Account

Home Forums Backend Issues (wp-admin) max_input_vars solution not working for me

Solved

max_input_vars solution not working for me

• Hi,
    for a client I have to fix a problem. At the moment he can’t save more than 66 fields in an ACF-Group. I was researching a bit and found out, that one possible problem could be, that the max_input_vars in the php.ini is too low, so PHP rejects the POST-Values after 1.000 fields. I was checking and indeed the Form was sending more than 1.000 fields.

I first tried the .htaccess-Solution as described e.g. here:
    http://support.advancedcustomfields.com/forums/topic/repeater-field-values-disappearing/
    and in this blog post:
    http://bullmandesign.com/quick-tips/too-much-of-a-good-thing

But, this produced an Error 500 because the machine is (as I found out) running as FastCGI. For people with this problem, check the possibilty of the user.ini:
    http://php.net/manual/de/configuration.file.per-user.php

So I translated the .htaccess to the .user.ini and uploaded this file.

max_input_vars = 5000
    max_input_time = 300
    max_input_nesting_level = 128
    max_execution_time = 300
    post_max_size = 32M

<?php phpinfo(); ?> displays set the new values are set as local values for PHP now.

But unfortunatly still, after uploading and everything, I am not able to save more than these 66 fields. Now, I have no further idea, what to do. Does anyone has an suggesstion?

Thanks a lot!

• Hi @websupporter

Thanks for all the information, but unfortunately, I’m just a PHP programmer specializing in UI, so I don’t realy have much knowledge of server configuration / limitations.

Perhaps you could post a link to this on a general PHP forum such as stack overflow? I’m sure there are some guns out there that will be able to solve the issue for you.

Sorry I can’t be of much other help.

Thanks
    E

• Hi @elliot,
    thanks for your help. I asked now in Stockoverflow.

If I find a solution, I will share it here.

All the best

• I have the same issue today and found this post.

the max number of fields allowed is 66

as we both have the same restriction – may not be a server issue?

I tried all the things above that you did and got the same result.

I am using this to help a client easily add images and text to an html slider code so need at least 150 fields just to start with.

Any ideas?

• Hi Websupporter

just wanted to let you know that I rolled back to 4.1.8 (svn) and can now add more fields

the issue seems to have occurred in 4.2.0 (svn)

• spoke to soon – the max for this one seems to be 70

• Ok searching for this problem was killing me!

Don’t forget to consider this:

“I had the same problem and it turned out that because the server was using the Suhosin patch I also needed to set the following my .htaccess file:

suhosin.post.max_vars = 20000
    suhosin.request.max_vars = 20000”

I found it on stackoverflow and it solved my problem. Nobody speaks about this on ACF support forums.

See u 🙂

• @cleocq

Many many many thanks!! This problem was bugging me over hours …

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘max_input_vars solution not working for me’ is closed to new replies.