Support

Account

Home Forums Backend Issues (wp-admin) Lost many fields after import.

Solving

Lost many fields after import.

• After performing an xml import, some fields are blank and others are missing entirely. The others seem to be present in the database.

Also, the blank field refuses to update after saving.

I tried importing the entire site via WordPress export, but that gave me the same problem.

Screenshots:
    http://lukeburns.clarify-it.com/d/dfjfxz

How can I recover my fields?

• Hi @lukeburns

Thanks for the screenshots.

I’m not sure what we’nt wrong. Perhaps you could attach the exported .xml for me to look at?

• I also experience the same issue detailed by the poster. Basically, whenever I try to import the xml generated by ACF, it seems that it’s incomplete. Also, the “Conditions” I originally set for the fields were all incorrect.

PS: I super love this plugin and should be a part of the core.

• Forgot to send a screenshot 🙂

You can check out the issue here: http://monosnap.com/image/X7bbp4x9IsGEozKJhIRZ57TEl#

I also attached the said XML file so that you can check ;D

• Also, php export seems to be working correctly, so there must be an issue with the xml file or how ACF handles imported data.

@elliot
    , how can I send you the xml file privately?

• Hi @lukeburns

Just attach it here and mark the reply as private

• Confirmed that the PHP export is working perfectly. Now it’s just the XML file that is acting a bit weird.

Also, I did some crazy experimentation regarding the process of exporting. Sometimes I manually CMD CLICK each of the field groups (instead of SHIFT CLICK to select all) then hit EXPORT and upon importing them, it gave me a different result (not sure if it’s connected though).

I hope @elliot can check if there’s really an issue with the XML export feature 🙂

• This reply has been marked as private.
  • Hi @lukeburns

I’m unable to download your file. Can you please edit the comment and re-upload. Failing that, can you upload it to a 3rd party and include a link?

• Also looking forward on this one! I know master @elliot can figure this out! \m/

• Hi @lukeburns

Your xml file contains line breaks. This is what is killing the WP importer.

In particular, the first issue can be seen on line 75.

For some reason, WP does not allow multiple lines. I will look into this issue in the future. Perhaps you could also do some research into this?

Thanks
    E

• Has anyone came up with a fix for this i am also having this problem and its driving me nuts or is there a way to copy a field group in the my php admin to another site or dump just that group?

• I’m looking for a fix too 🙁
    Meanwhile, I’m rewriting linebreaks to ‘<br/>’ tags

• Hi guys.

Great news. I’ve fixed this export issue and will be included int he next version of ACF.

Please note the issue is with the export, not the import, so you will need to re-export the fields after upgrading.

Thanks
    E

• There is a way to fix existing exports too? I have a site to mantain with a lot of fields (somewhere between 50-80) and I don’t have anything else other than the export file.

// Edit
    For example, i have this group: https://gist.github.com/iamntz/4818c3e9d5f7c0fdb2f6 (is one of the nine groups i have).

I tried the following:
    1) Use Acf Recovery: https://github.com/seamusleahy/ACF-PHP-Recovery
    2) Create a XML that resemble the WP export then import that xml
    3) restored an old sql (which contains about half of the actual fields)

In all cases i only have one or two fields imported; e.g. Image Alignment (although, when i’m in the /edit.php?post_type=acf page, the fields column displays the correct number of fields (16)

However, the PHP export works just fine, fields are usable, there is no issue. is just… i can’t edit the fields.

In this moment i’m not very sure if the problem is on export, import or somewhere else.

I’m using WP 3.8 and latest github version of ACF.

Thanks!

• AAAADN i nailed!

I created a little script that know to recreate fields from exported PHP file.

It can be seen here: https://github.com/iamntz/acf-recovery

Hopefully it will be helpful for others as well.

• So, I have an export that is not working correctly and it sounds like the issue above. When I import, a ton of fields are missing. What’s weird is that on the main “Field Groups” page, it displays the correct number of fields, but when I edit and when I view were those fields are display, a ton of fields are missing. I only have an XML of the export, and I really don’t want to have to build all of this over again! It was 5 groups, one with 16 fields, one with 4, one with 97, one with 8, and one with one. Please help me!

EDIT: Nevermind. Thankfully I had another backup that works.

• From Elliot:

Your xml file contains line breaks. This is what is killing the WP importer.

In particular, the first issue can be seen on line 75.

For some reason, WP does not allow multiple lines. I will look into this issue in the future. Perhaps you could also do some research into this?

Thanks
    E

Use something like Sublime Text to edit your XML file and replace line breaks.

• Hey alekstrust,

I actually used Notepad++ to remove all line breaks and the import still didn’t work. But, like I said, I had an older backup that worked and was pretty close to what I most recently had. So, thankfully this issue is resolved for me, at the moment.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Lost many fields after import.’ is closed to new replies.